Don't Rock the Pirate Ship: Be Savvy

Thursday, December 8, 2016

Yikes!  The end of my semester is in sight.  I, as a professor, am glad and I know my students are ready for a break.  This week I have been busy giving finals, grading, and fixing all the loose ends that remain.  Tomorrow we are heading to New Orleans for a weekend getaway.  But first I have something to share....

Experiment:
Runway Skirt by Savvy Patterns
Size: 4
Midi Length

Materials:
1 yard Gray Ponte
1 yard of White Geometric Cotton
Black Thread
White Thread
2” elastic

Procedure:
Audrey from Skirt Fixation’s motto is “Changing the World One Skirt at a Time!”.  Love it.  She features so many lovely skirts on her blog but my favorite series of hers is called Living Art.  She and her adorable children recreate famous art pieces that include handmade garments!  When she asked me to participate in her blog tour for her new pattern, The Runway Skirt, I happily obliged.  Although I was given this pattern for free, I really did enjoy the quick sew and I can always use a dramatic skirt in my closet!
The Runway Skirt is a knit skirt (or stretch wovens if you are up for it) that features the oh-la-la godets in the back.  I choose to do a midi-length version to fulfill my midi obsession.  I had a charcoal gray ponte with black brush strokes stashed away.  I knew this had to be the skirt – it was the godets that were giving my nightmares.  Nightmares because I couldn’t choose a fabric or a color. Ultimately, after several trips to a fabric stores and disappointing results, I decided to go with some cotton craps that I had left over from my Kwik Sew project.  It had that geometric feature, it added drama, and it had some gray on it.  Check out my backside!
Did it work? I’ll let you be the judge.  I do love the finished result.  I choose a size 4 based on my waist measurement.  While the waist fit nicely, there was just too much room for my liking around the hip area.  Before finishing the waist, I ended up taking in an inch on either side of my hips.  I also decided to ditch the waist band and casing to follow my favorite NancyZieman technique. I used 2” elastic as that is what I had on hand instead of the recommended 1.5” elastic.  Given that I altered the waistband it worked.
Hands down the most dramatic version of this pattern is the maxi length.  If only I had had more fabric… 
Check out Savvy Patterns and the Runway Skirt.  Audrey is holding a giveaway too!  Link for the Rafflecopter giveaway is below.   
a Rafflecopter giveaway


 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie