The Proof is in the Dress

Sunday, February 5, 2017

The ATL Dirty birds are currently kicking some Patriot booty in Superbowl 51.  Woot!  Pour moi, the Superbowl is an excuse for a cocktail and watching the commercials (for those who are not in the US,  companies pay crazy amounts of money to advertise during the game so this is the one time where I want to see the commercials!).   With one margarita down, I figured now would be a wonderful time to write about my latest make.  This dress has been my longest WIP.  I think I cut it out during the summer, put the bodice together in the fall, and finished the dress on a rainy Sunday in January.
Experiment:
M6696
View A
Size 8

Materials:
3.5 yards of navy shirting
Meter #792 Navy Thread
12 nautical themed shank buttons
Homemade bias tape
Procedure:
No joke - I cannot believe this dress has taken me as long as it has.  It was a WIP that I couldn't get motivated to finish.  I am pretty sure I can attribute this to the dread I would feel making buttonholes on my Singer.  My Singer would devour buttonholes no matter how much interfacing and stabilizer I used.  The majority of this dress was finished on my Singer.  I made the buttonholes on my new Bernina -- it was worth the wait.
This dress has a sooooooooo many pattern pieces.  Attention to detail and a lot of hand sewing is involved.  I hand sewed the yoke but then my impatience kicked in.  As a result, I stitched in the ditch where I could, reducing my hand sewing.  I know so many seamstresses proclaim how much they love hand sewing but I cannot muster up the thrill.  Other adjustments include sewing the pleats 2.5 inches down.  I like how that shapes the waist and lets the volume out around my hips.   Also, I did adjust the length of the bodice slightly so it sat at my natural waist.
The pattern calls for 1/2 inch buttons.  I could not find 1/2 inch buttons that I liked.  So I adjusted and went with 3/4 inch shank buttons.  The nautical theme includes anchors and whales with sparkly bits on the button.  I love how the colors pop with the navy dress.
I can now see why so many bloggers love this pattern.  It is a solid well drafted pattern.  And look at the result!!  Swoon!  J'adore.


 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie