Archive for November 2016

Post Election Blues

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Ermmmm.  Where to begin?  After the shocking US election result (I know now how some Brits felt after the Brexit vote!), I had to abstain from social media, blog reading, websites, TV, and all the sorts.  There was just too much ranting and whining.  It made me sad for my country.  Social media has empowered one to believe that their opinion is worthy of voicing. Sigh.  I just couldn't read all the drivel from either side.  This week is Thanksgiving in the US and with all the negativity and uncertainty I can only reflect on all that I am thankful for.   I am blessed and thankful for so very much including the wonderful sewing community!

During my mini-social media hiatus, I sewed more.  Probably because I had more free time at night.  Most importantly  because it makes me happy.   Behold: 

Experiment:
View B
Size: XS

Materials:
 ~4 Yards of White and gray cotton
Cotton Interfacing
22" White invisible zipper

Procedure:
This is my second Kwik Sew pattern following K4068.  Much like K4068, I loved the pattern cover and scooped this one up at the same time.  I decided on View B for the neckline and the length....giving into my midi-length mini-obsession of late. I had a white cotton with a gray triangles in my stash that was just the right amount of yardage -- oh -- and it was prewashed and ironed, making cutting a cinch.  
Since this was my second Kwik Sew, I knew a few adjustments that I would have to make.  I had to take about an inch on the side seams.  The midi-length on the pattern was drafted for someone who was so much taller than me.  Here is the ridiculousness: I am 5'4" and the skirt pattern for view B was maxi length on me.  I ended up removing 4 inches from the skirt! And I did a seriously wide hem, 1.5 inches double fold. Crikey!
I like the above picture because of my swinging hair!  The shot gives you an idea of the back of the dress.  I know it is hard to tell in the picture but trust me it's there: my zipper and waist line up.  Woot-woot! I mean there was some unpicking involved.  Worth every stitch unpicked.
On my second go-round with a Kwik Sew pattern, it was much more satisfying.  The result makes me  feel very classy.  I don't believe in the rule of no white white after Labor day. Psshh. This dress is going to look killer in the winter with a cardigan. Yep, I am thankful that I have a new dress and that this week I get to visit family and share a big meal (Maybe I need to make time to sew a roomy dress for the gluttony that is bound to happen!).  What are you thankful for? 

Happy Thanksgiving!


 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Absolutely Nutter Butter

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Early this year I went to a local quilt show to find that there was a sale of fabric from the quilters stash to benefit the guild.  Ummmm, score.  I found 4 yards of this delicious peach fabric that was light and drapey.  I planned to make a spring button-up dress.  Disaster struck after a wash and dry cycle and during ironing I discovered a dark stain.  I held on to it waiting for the right pattern in which I could cut around it.  But that stain was pesky and in a perfect spot to ruin the fabric.
Experiment:
Size: Extra Small

Materials:
3 yards dyed mystery fabric
Black Thread

Procedure:
I had an epiphany while driving to work– dye it a darker color.  Cover the blasted stain.  That is just what I did.  One sunny Saturday morning I made a crazy amount of boiling water and threw all 4 yards of the fabric in a big bin to dye.  It worked like a charm.  I intended the fabric to be black but I took it out early to get this eerie effect.  Once dried, Jules threw the fabric over his head and went to Spotify to play the Harry Potter theme song – “I am a dementor here to suck your soul!” he cried.  Henceforth it became the dementor fabric.  I rather liked the creepy drapey vibe and knew it would make a lovely dress version of the Sudley pattern from Megan Nielsen.
Of course I had to deviate from the pattern directions.  The pattern has separate lining pieces.  I did not have enough fabric to do a full line.  Instead, I split the bodice in back and self lined with the fabric.  As a result there is a seam in the back bodice - I don't mind at all.
I also opted not to put a tie on the keyhole feature. Instead, I under stitched the lining around the keyhole to help it lay flat.  
This is a roomy dress.  Very roomy. Nuff' said. But I absolutely love it.  It is very different from he dresses I would normally gravitate towards but I am thrilled to have given it a try.  

 Absolutely nutter butter!  A stinkin' cute dress that was perfectly creepy for Halloween. Apologies for such a short post but I have been swamped at work and reckoned it was better for a short post rather than nothing at all!  Hope your Halloween was creepy and candy-filled!

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »