Butter Beans in a Clutter

Friday, September 30, 2016

I love fall.  It is my favorite time of the year.  The changing colors, the cooler temperatures, the soccer games, Jack-o-lanterns, apple cider…Halloween and Thanksgiving! Fall is when you can layer with scarfs, cardigans, and tights!  I made an apple pie over the weekend. Just because it was fall.  Just because it would fill the house with that fall scent. And even though it was 100 degrees F.

Voila!  I’m excited to share with you a new fall staple (I can already feel it!).

Experiment:
M6844
Size: Small
View: C

Materials:
2 yards of Mustard Ponte from lafinchfabrics.com
Vintage (or should I just say old?) Gold thread (It was picked up from an estate sale) 


Procedure:

The other fabric that I was sent from Finch Fabrics was a rich mustard ponte knit.  The fabric is very soft with plenty of drape.  I requested this fabric because of the color.  My day job is at a university with maroon and gold colors.  I had a tiny bit of remorse and panic after I received the fabric – would I even look good in mustard!?  Two yards of 58” mustard fabric => that is a pool of yellow. 

I have seen so many lovely cardigans using McCall’s M6844.  I am shameless.  And the sewing community oozes with inspiration. That mustard yellow was destined for a fall peplum version (I envision wearing this cardigan to football games). I wanted something to wear to work that is fashionable but not overtly covered in the university’s emblem.  Selfishly it gives me more style options.  I traced size small based on initial and final measurements.  Another remorse... I should have gone with my instinct: extra small.   While the small is perfectly acceptable, it is a tad roomy.  This yields a better garment for layering.

I did not interface the collar as many other bloggers that forged the way said it was not necessary especially with a stable thick knit such as ponte.  I sewed the entire piece with my sewing machine and as a result this took a couple of evenings.  The serger would have been quicker however I nixed the idea because I did not have any yellow/mustard/or gold serger thread. (Woe is me with no fabric store close!) 
Peplum, IMHO, embodies fun.  Yellow is the perfect color for fun.  To sum up, this cardigan ROCKS!!!!!!!!  My son came up with the title of this post -- he said it looks like butter beans.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie