I've Got Charm Like a Leprechaun

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Monday begins our last week of summer.  Gone will be the sleeping-in, the late-night movies, the afternoon's at the pool, the free time to sew!  This week will be frenzied – sewing, cleaning, and prepping for the first day of school.  Jules is starting 4th grade. (Yikes!  Blink and your child grows.)  And since Mr. Chemist and I are both teachers, this is that hectic time – preparing syllabi, making copies, creating lectures, getting our class websites up!  I did indulge.  In fact, I spent the weekend tracing patterns, prepping and cutting fabric.

I wanted to share another of my summer makes.  It captures the summer spirit and makes me long for another vacation or maybe just a cold beer.

Experiment:
Size: 0
Materials:
3.5 yards of green seersucker
22" white invisible zipper

Procedure:
I picked this fabric up while moonlighting at Hancock.  Green was the only seersucker left when I decided that I wanted seersucker for a Sylvie dress.  The inspiration came when Mr. Chemist and I were out on a date while in Texas and there was this lovely girl in a seersucker sundress.  I immediately thought of the Sylvie dress pattern my boys had gifted me for Mother's day.
Christine Haynes' Emery dress is one of my TNT patterns.  I had high hopes that I would love the Sylvie dress as much.  It is that modern vintage style I like so very much.  Classic style (like the Classic Man -- hint hint like the Jidenna song that provided my title!).  I choose my size based on the final measurements and did not bother with a muslin.  I sew risky!  I had a moment of panic after I constructed the bodice, tried it on, and found the armholes quite high.  I winged it and removed less than a half inch.  It worked because the final dress is quite comfortable.
The gathered skirt with the patch pockets drew me to the pattern.  It really was delightful to sew.  This pattern suggests a great deal of fabric.  The finish of the neckline and armholes calls for bias binding. One could most definitely cut down if you make bias binding with different fabric or if you use packaged bias binding.
The finished dress was shorter than I anticipated. (above my knees!  Oh-so scandalous!  Just kidding ;) )  In fairness, it was probably listed somewhere in the final measurements which somehow did not warrant a bit of my attention (A total rookie mistake ).  The pattern really does make a great summer dress but I would definitely lengthen the skirt for a fall or work dress.
Having meandered all around Boston in this Sylvie dress and my Saltwater sandals, I can attest that it marvelous.   It was light and breezy for the heatwave we encountered while on our vacation in Boston.  I even managed to cool off with a cold Sam Adams at their brewery.  Score and score.  I am sharing this on Gray All Day's Sew Chic -- feel free to check out other awesome garments there!
Hope your week is grand!

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie