Chivalry Sewing

Sunday, February 21, 2016

I can sense spring.  Waking up, the morning is chilly but by the afternoon the sun is shining like a disco ball.  I also love to see the brown fading, slowly replaced by lovely shades of green.  That being said, I am still in the winter sewing zone! My son has been begging me for a new jacket.  He wears a uniform to school so the jacket is a key fashion piece in the limited wardrobe of an eight year-old.  Luckily I am mom with a lot of sewing patterns so he had several choices.


Experiment:
Knight Hoodie by Charming Doodles
Size 8

Materials:
2.5 yards of gray activewear knit
Mettler Gray Thread in Navajo
24” gray separating zipper

Procedure:
He immediately wanted this one.  He is not into knights but I think the prospect of having a “cool” unique hoodie was his desire. I have to admit -- I want one of these now!  It is quite an easy sew especially if you use a stable knit.  The activewear knit was score from JoAnn's Fabric.  When I embarked on this adventure, I kept putting it off because I thought I would have to order fabric (like I need an excuse!).  I happened to be visiting my in-laws when I popped into JoAnn's and found this on sale!

The directions are helpful with pictures for most of the steps.  The pattern calls for buttons to be added to emphasize all of the knight features but my son didn't want them.  The other thing with this pattern you have to keep in mind is that there is a lot of topstitching.  For the most part my topstitching is fab...there are a few wonky places but no one would notice except for me.
The hood is so cleverly designed.  It is also a show stopper exaggerated mohawk.  I will comment that this hoodie looks incredible with the hood up.  The hood is rather large so when it is not on it is a little massive.  Jules doesn't mind it either way.
I sewed a size eight however in hindsight I should have sized up to a 10.  The arms are a tad short so for an easy fix I lengthened the cuff to accommodate.  You can hardly notice it.
That is my chivalrous sewing.  Worth it because I know he likes it!

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie