Sewing with AGF for National Sewing Month

Friday, September 11, 2015

Whew! It had been a while for new projects.  I am excited to share a project in collaboration with Art Gallery Fabrics for National Sewing Month.  Being the curious scientist I am, I found out that President Ronald Reagan declared September to be National Sewing Month in the United States in 1982.  In my opinion, every month is a special sewing month but here in the United States, I guess we officially celebrated it in September.

Art Gallery Fabrics is celebrating by featuring a new project with their fabric every day of the month of September.  I am the lucky gal who gets to share with you today a post full of pictures featuring AGF!

Experiment:
Simplicity 1801
View A
Size 8

Materials:
3 Yards of Art Gallery Fabric's Ink Burst Atelier Voile from the Sharon Holland's Sketchbook collection
14" cream invisible zipper
Mettler Thread (339 Oat)
Procedure:
It is pretty obvious that I love the Cynthia Rowley patterns that Simplicity has to offer (Exhibit A, B, C).  This pattern had been lovingly stashed away hanging out until I found the right fabric.  When Art Gallery Fabrics contacted me, I replied with a resounding "yes" -- in my mind, it was more like "Yeeeessss!" and this pattern came to mind.
Immediately I was drawn to Sharon Holland's Sketchbook.  My favorites were The Ink Burst Atelier and the Tiny Dancer Midnight.  I am noticing more and more that I like blues.  I would never characterize my favorite color as blue (It is light pink if you are wondering which I am sure you were....;)....).  For some reason, I am drawn to sew with shades of blue but- more importantly - I look good in shades of blue.  The Ink Burst sealed the deal with its amazing color and delicate flowers.
This cotton voile is soft and colorful.   It has a lot of drape thus complimenting this pattern.  Ok, I keep gushing about the fabric but what about the pattern?? While I enjoyed making this pattern, there were a couple of head scratching moments, mainly because I thoroughly read the directions before I cut the pattern and then promptly consulted them only when I was baffled.  First, I gathered my neckline in the back -- for some reason the pieces didn't fit together.  Luckily this dress has many gathers in many places so it worked.
The belt section caused a lot of grief.  I added the inside of the belt to the bottom and then had to unpick the seam because -- shocker, if I read the directions while sewing -- it was added to the top instead.  I also ditched the pockets.  I cut them out and intended to sew them....however, the voile is very light and fine.  After sewing one side, I felt as if it would weigh down the dress around the hip area (no gal wants to be dumpy around their midsection!). Another seam unpicked.
All seam ripping was worth it.  I made few adjustments to the pattern to fit my body.  The end result was a fab.u.lous dress.  I love the billowy sleeves and the gathered skirt (my favorite!).  The whole dress works.  I am most proud of my invisible side zip with matchy sections (why can't my back zippers go in this stinkin' easy?!!?).
Thank you Art Gallery Fabrics for the beautiful fabric.  I hope I did it justice.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie