I'm On a Roll

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

I'm on a roll...with skirts.  Yep, I cannot believe it.  My go-to "uniform" is a dress.  I have said it before but with a dress I can mindlessly pick one, grab a cardigan, and get my day started.  Separates usually make me break out in hives because I'll have to coordinate. That means I have to think in the morning and before a pot of tea, well, there is a bit of truth to my husband saying I am addicted to caffeine.  I blame Veronika.  I fell in love with her and now have the desire to make more skirts that I will adore.

Experiment:
Tilly and the Button's Delphine Skirt
Size: 2

Materials:
2 yards Yellow Canvas
7" inch invisible zipper
Medium weight interfacing
Sulky Buttercream Thread (#4002)
Experiment:
I can't get enough of the patterns in Tilly's book Love at First Stitch.  I had a yellow Delphine in mind not only because Tilly's version looks amazing but the golden yellow is one of my university's colors.    A yellow skirt with maroon/burgandy shirt (i.e. my maroon Belcarra shirt in the pictures) is perfect for school spirit or university events.  Yellow also goes with my favorite go-to sew color of blue.
This is a really beginner friendly pattern.  You will work with interfacing, invisible zipper, stitching in the ditch -- and the bonus is that for a true beginner who is not very confident it still sews up really quick (I took an afternoon so I'd gauge a day for a beginner).  If the plain color is not exciting, you could add a contrasting waistband or a special stitch at the hem.  I value the plain basic colors because they are blank canvases.  Each time I wear a basic, it can become fresh outfit by changing the blouse or adding a scarf or belt.
My invisible zipper was not perfectly executed as you can see from the back.  I don't really mind as it is not noticeable unless you are staring at my bum (which I am pretty sure does not occur on a regular basis).  I had to take out a 1/2 inch on the waist to have a snug fit.  I know I changed the hem allowance but in my notebook I can't find what I did (I think I did a 5/8" fold twice).  Not good note keeping for a scientist!
This has a nice feminine shape -- it hides the hips and cinches the waist (Oh I do miss "What Not to Wear" -- that sounds exactly like something they would assert).  This is my kind of look.  For a gal who has proclaimed she doesn't like skirts, I am slowly changing my opinion.  Further, sewing something different is appealing.

xx

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie