Seamingly Shrug: A Failure of Size

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

I started subscribing to Seamwork about a month after it started.  I was hesitant since I adore Colette patterns but they do not work for my body type (well, they work ....just with too much work!).  Logic dictated that for $6/month it was a decent investment.  I sewed the Florence bralette but did not have the cojones to photograph myself.  I have printed the Astoria sweater but have not laid eyes on the right fabric.  I then focused my attention to the Sydney Shrug.

Experiment:
Seamwork's Sydney Shrug
Size: S

Materials:
1.25 Yards of Blue Linen
Navy Blue Mettler Thread
Yellow Bias tape
Yellow Coats and Clark Thread

Procedure:
I was intrigued by the idea of a summer cover up.  You know, not quite a cardigan or jacket but something stylish. Something that would keep me warm in the arctic air conditioned buildings in the south.  That was Sydney in a nutshell.   The Sydney pattern conjured up images of Maria from The Sound of Music in my head.  Queue the leftover blue linen from my mother's Tessuti dress, a summer soundtrack with a few Sound of Music songs (High on the hill stood a lonely goatherd...) to match, and the Sydney was sewn.
After cutting the blue linen and french seaming the side seams, I realized that it was boring!  I finished the edges with yellow bias tape to give a pop of color.  The pop of color didn't add the pizazz I was looking for... I then busted out some crazy stitch on my machine that I have never used -- little kites or maybe they are supposed to be bows...who knows!? I change to yellow thread and affixed a border.  Adding that yellow decorative stitch gave the shrug some oomph and character!
I am never really sure what size best suits me with the Colette patterns (Many patterns I have been completely different sizes).  I reasoned that if I size up, it will be a tad roomy.
Roomy in an understatement.  In fact, it slides off my shoulders kind-of-roomy.  Sometimes experiments go awry.  The actual construction of the garment was stratight-forward (procedure followed correctly, check!).  My biggest blunder was choosing a wrong size (bad decision, darn!).   If I focus on the positive then the garment is sewn impeccably.   It's just not me.  This surely doesn't belong in a 'few of my favorite things' -- maybe someone else will like it.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
12 Comments »

12 Responses to “Seamingly Shrug: A Failure of Size”

  1. I have the hardest time with Collette patterns too! I know they are drafted for a C cup, but even knowing that, the darts are all kinds of wrong for me. Too low, too long generally. The shoulders are too tight. They are so much work to get to fit! I love the idea of your shrug and think it is really pretty. I am sorry the fit didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the hardest time with Collette patterns too! I know they are drafted for a C cup, but even knowing that, the darts are all kinds of wrong for me. Too low, too long generally. The shoulders are too tight. They are so much work to get to fit! I love the idea of your shrug and think it is really pretty. I am sorry the fit didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the shrug. I just don't know if I like it enough to make it again!

      Delete
  3. It's beautiful, just a pity it doesn't fit you. Have you a friend it might fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Charity shop most likely.

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of the Collette patterns but I've recently made the Mesa Dress from Seamwork and love it. I've also got the Sydney pattern sitting waiting for me to choose some fabric. I love what you've done with the colour stitching, it looks fantastic. I kinda like the slouchy look too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannot wait to see how the Sydney turns out.

      Delete
  5. I actually thought it was meant to have an off the shoulder look when I saw your version! I really love the detailing you added its just a shame that you don't love the finished item :-(. I too have had many an issue with colette sizing - most notably my dahlia which is slowly being used for bias binding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Dahlia -- from afar. I have been sucked in too many times with Colette patterns and it ends in frustration.

      Delete
  6. Yes, these certainly is a shrug - one shrug and it is off. Pity about the sizing - I've never worked with Colette patterns. A C cup drafting probably means a curvier shape, and that would also mean bigger, rounder, shoulders.

    Could you add buttons to pull the shoulders together - it may work, it may not. It may look okay, it may not.

    I've just knitted a cardigan which does not suit me - I gave it to the thrift shop - I was upset for me, but sort of pleased for the person who was going to find it - because I knew it was a good garment. The same goes for this if you choose to send it on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am going to chalk this up as a valiant attempt. I want to knit but haven't gotten around to learning how...I understand how you feel!

      Delete
    2. Shame you had fit issues. This came out so cute! The detailing is adorable. Do you know the name of the stitch?

      I struggle with Colette patterns as well. Some of them are spot on for me, like the Macaron, but some just do not work at all (*cough* Mabel *cough*). I tried the Oslo cardigan a while back with some scrap knit, but it was definitely the wrong fabric choice and looked horrid. Hopefully another fabric selection will look better!

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie