Does a Tropical Dress Require a Holiday?

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

I've been daydreaming about a holiday.  Probably because I have read a string of summer books.  The latest was Bridget Jones Mad About the Boy.  Total mind candy books.  Back to my daydream, I want somewhere far away.  Lush. A place that serves exotic drinks and scrumptious food.  It is already starting to feel like a 100F (37C) here; it is the kind of heat that causes everything to ooze a sticky sheen.  A tropical holiday is not in my immediate future therefore I channeled all those vibes into making a sundress worthy of a holiday.

Experiment:
Simplicity 1873
Size 8
View C
Materials:
2.5 yards of tropical cotton
Black Mettler Thread
Black Bias Tape
22" Red Zipper

Procedure:
*Sigh* Another Cynthia Rowley pattern.  Of which, I love all the views.  I decided on View C because I wanted a summer neckline.   I made significant changes.  In fact, my garment really doesn't look anything like the line drawing or the photo on the pattern.  Let's start with the skirt: I did the obligatory Pattern Review stalking.  Most comments I found said that the final View C was very short.  I nixed the skirt for View C and opted for the A/B version. Short dresses or skirts are not my thang.   Further, after pleating the whole skirt and basting it to the bodice, I scraped it.  It looked hideous and circus-tent-like on me.  Too many panels.  I remove some of the pleats and reduced the skirt.  Same look, more work! Gah! I concluded a simple gathered skirt would probably be the least amount of work after two pleating tragedies.
The dress is meant to be fully lined.  While I love this feature, with the temperature nudging closer to triple digits everyday, I would sweat several liters in a lined-sundress.  I opted not to walk around looking as if I just pulled the dress out of the washer.  The armholes and neckline were completed with black bias tape. Ahh, now the dress can breathe. Feels cooler and tropical already.
I tried a new technique to insert a zipper.  This is nothing epic or anything but I was pretty jazzed that I did it.  I inserted an exposed zip!!  Thank the cosmos for You Tube and the web for all the amazing tutorials.  I didn't have a long enough or fancy enough metal zip so I used a standard red one.  It adds an element of charm.
I am more excited about the exposed zip than I am about the finished dress.  I could list all the flaws but why?  I'll focus on the positive and I can't help thinking I am Miss Fancy Dress now.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
25 Comments »

25 Responses to “Does a Tropical Dress Require a Holiday?”

  1. Really lovely! The red zip is perfect with that print. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving the exposed zip! Yet another fab dress, hoping you're staying cool in the tropical heat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah -- next week they are saying it will break triple digits. I will be by the pool.

      Delete
  3. I want to join you on the fantasy holiday, sounds great. This dress is fab, so bright and tropical. I am loving the exposed zip really makes a great feature. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Join the fantasy anytime! Thanks!! x

      Delete
  4. Great holiday dress - it probably makes you feel in a holiday mood, which is the next best thing (if you delude yourself enough!). The zip looks wonderful. I agree, plain cotton, no lining, skimpy cotton undies, are enough in 37 degrees. I think you may also have quite a bit of humidity as well - which makes things even more unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cotton is the best for hot humid weather. I can't imagine wearing synthetics.

      Delete
  5. Your dress looks great! I know what you mean about the sticky heat though - it's horrible! Did you draft a bias facing for your armholes or did you just use good ol bias binding? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just made double fold bias tape. It does the job without reinventing the wheel!

      Delete
  6. Lovely dress! That print is fabulous and the dress has such a great silhouette! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the fabric! Looks great :) so pretty. Really like the red zip too. And your necklace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bright and tropical. Now all I need is a drink in a coconut! Thanks.

      Delete
  8. So lovely! The yellow necklace is very pretty on this dress...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is just gorgeous! I love the changes you made and have often thought of not lining dresses myself! Where did you get the fabric from? I am in love with it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the fabric from the sale table at JoAnn's or Hancock's a year or so ago. Mobile would equally as hot so jump on board and ditch the lining.

      Delete
  10. I love your print and the exposed zipper is fantastic! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How adorable....I think just wearing this dress is a holiday in itself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love this dress! Beautiful! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful dress! I love flower prints on black,so naturally I love your dress, but the exposed red zipper is the cherry on the cake.
    We have had a heat wave the last days, too. The peak was reached with 37°C yesterday, a big thunderstorm followed at night and now we are down to 25°C today, what a relief, I just hope it'll stay like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dress! I adore the exposed zip and the pop of color it adds to the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your dress. I'm sure it'll make you feel as if you're on holiday!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie