A Graceful Summer Cardi

Wednesday, July 15, 2015

ITY knit.  I really didn't know what it was exactly. I knew it was a knit but was unsure of the texture or weight although it is described as a medium weight knit.  Interlock twist yarn.  That's ITY.   It's that polyester that travels perfectly.  You know, the shirt or dress that can be stuffed into the tiniest corner of a piece of luggage and look amazing when you pull it out.   In my quest to try new fabrics, I bought and stashed some ITY.  Turns out that ITY it is not a fiber or texture I normally wear.

Experiment: Grace Cardigan
Size: XX-Small

Materials:
2 Yards ITY Knit
Serger Thread
Clear Elastic

Procedure:
A summer cardigan to throw over a variety of sleeveless tops when one goes in and out of air conditioned buildings is a must.  In the south here, buildings are kept cold - the transition to the outside world is a shock to your body since the inside of a building is roughly 70F (21C) and outside is 95F(30C) or more... When Kaysie of Kzjo Studio's was looking for testers for a summer pattern line, I happily obliged plotting to use the ITY for a fun colorful cardi.
This pattern was one of the easiest I have tested.  In a blink or, rather, a glass of sauvignon blanc, this cardigan came together.   No finnicky problems or frantic emails to the designer wondering if I have messed up or if its the pattern.  Nope this was smooth.   My favorite part was that the sleeves were a breeze to set in the flat.   Sometimes with knits I have to pull and massage to set the sleeve in the flat but Grace didn't need any massaging.
I deviated a tad from the suggested hemline finish.  I used my serger to make a lettuce hem.  I attempted to fold the fabric and pin it for a traditional hem but blah! -it felt stuffy.  With such a fun print on the fabric, it needed something extra.  I had been wanting to try a lettuce hem for no other reason than the hell of it!  What better time than now.  I love YouTube especially when it comes to serger knowledge (mine is lacking and YouTube provides a good fix).  Costuming diary.com had an excellent video on how to serge a rolled hem.  I just stretched the fabric as I went along to get the wavy edge.

My version is not a 'warm' cardigan.  It is a throw-over-your-tank-top-to-keep-from-freezing kind.  I have stuffed it into my purse, worn it over my swimsuit to the pool, and thrown it over equally as loud fabric.  It works because this is a simple pattern that could be a staple in many wardrobes.  I want to make it in french terry with a little belt for a curling-hair-or-eyebrow-plucking cardigan.  The Grace Summer Cardigan can be made in knit or woven.  Kaysie has a lace version that I am lusting after.  Check her out here!

The above reflects my own personal opinion of the pattern and directions (I really do like the pattern.).  Please note that I tested the pattern before it was released and did not receive any compensation.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
17 Comments »

17 Responses to “A Graceful Summer Cardi”

  1. Those colors really suit you Annie! Very pretty :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great - I love what you did with the hem :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an easy hem and an easy make -- I think it took me a couple of hours one evening.

      Delete
  3. I love the print of this fabric! Colourful cardigans are always the best - they go with just about everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- cardigans are perfect no matter what print.

      Delete
  4. So that's what ITY means! I had been seeing this written a lot lately and had no idea. Thank you for clearing the mystery :) Cardy looks great, loving the colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look it up and read about ITY. I have a few pieces of clothes but generally I do not wear them (unless I am traveling!).

      Delete
  5. It's gorgeous - and you've got to love those things you can stuff into your handbag to wear when needed. It's years since I've done a lettuce hem - they are fun, and for some knits that won't behave, a good solution. You can also use a zig zag stitch to do a lettuce hem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- stuffing is so essential when traveling. Never tried a zig zag lettuce hem -- filing that away for later attempt!

      Delete
  6. I love it! Gorgeous color and very useful :) Glad that you mentioned about the lettuce hem, I never heard about that before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It turned out great! You will get a lot of wear out of it, and it looks really nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is so good to see you are back!

      Delete
  8. Love your description of the A/C in the south! So very true! Cute cardi and I love that it doesn't need to be ironed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern buildings are like the Arctic! But then it is 100+F. Thanks!

      Delete
  9. I love that curly hem effect, so cute. Perfect summer cardi, I like the extra length nice to pull round you. Perfect. Louise x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie