Navy Blues are in Season

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

It was so lovely to have my parents in town for a proper visit.  They live in Ohio and I now live in Louisiana.  The trek is a tortuous 13-hour car ride or two planes and copious amounts of waiting in airports.  Needless to say, it is an affair when I visit there or when they come down for a visit.  A tad hectic but bunches of fun.  I missed my Sunday Sevens post but I did get to sew last week.  Continuing on my linen and stash busting path for June, I had to make a treat for my lovely mother while she was in town.

Experiment:
Lily Dress by Tessuti Fabrics
Size: Medium

Materials:
3.5 yards of Navy Blue Linen
Homemade cotton bias tape
Mettler Navy Thread

Procedure:
I love Tessuti patterns and fabric.  I have been wanting the Pia dress but have held off since I know that I look best when I wear a garment with a defined waist.  Shift dresses and loose fitting dresses make me look as if I am wearing a pillow case.  While perusing the pattern shop, it dawned on me that my mom would love all of these looks.  I gave into my pattern addiction and purchased the Lily linen dress pattern for her.  
The Lily dress is described as a loose fitting tunic dress with pleating detail on the hem line.  The most annoying thing about this pattern was putting together the 65+ page pdf print out.  Gah! Construction and sewing was relatively straightforward. It only took an afternoon of on and off sewing with my mom and several tea breaks.
I deviated in several regards.  I did not use the tear-away vilene for the neckline as I have no clue what it is...I used bias tape that I had made with some left over cotton to enclose the neckline.  Ok, confession time:  I scanned the direction with a cocky 'I got this' attitude and did not turn back.  Consequently, in my haste, I had a flash of horror and fabric nightmare when placing the pockets on the side of a completed dress.  I chickened out and placed the pockets in the front instead of the side.  "No worries" my mother concluded.  The dress now exudes a gardener vibe  -- absurd since my mom does not garden.
I marked the pleating for the hem line but when my mother eyed it she told me to leave it.  She would rather have a flowy dress that would be easy to iron.  Plus, she reminded me, I would have to make her another (in a shade of pink or coral as per her request) with the side pocket and pleating details for more fancy occasions.    
The medium is roomy and full of ease.  I still envision myself in one of these types of dresses and in my fantasy, I look arty and hella good.  Problem is that in real life, I am confident I would be bummed with a dress like this.  I am too happy that I pleased my mom.  And will gladly make her another one.  




 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
16 Comments »

16 Responses to “Navy Blues are in Season”

  1. Tear away violence is a tear away stabilizer. They use it it keep rounded areas from stretching before you can finish the edges.http://tessuti.blogspot.com/2012/03/sewing-tip-tear-away-vilene-shields.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that but I couldn't find any locally...

      Delete
  2. So nice you got to sew with your mom and make her something! Really cool to be able to do that for other people, a great gift - a lovely dress and time too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks -- I think my mom dug the dress!

      Delete
  3. What a lovely gift for your mom :) You are a very sweet daughter Annie. She looks great in navy blue :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad that your mom was happy with your make :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely for you to see your Mum. When I visit mine, it is two planes, or longer than 13 hours drive (a couple of days - you can do it in 24 hours if you forsake sleep). The tyranny of distance and modern life. Very lovely dress, I hope your Mum gets lots of wear out of it - it's the sort of dress that is useful around the house in hot weather. This style would swamp you though. 65 pages...that would be a no go zone for me :). I guess where there is a desire though..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 24 hours is a long way. I know this suits my mom perfectly. 65 + was a little too much for me but at lot of it is empty space.

      Delete
  6. What a thoughtful gift! I don't know why exactly but the dress/hat combination makes me think of a Virginia Woolf novel. I'm sure you enjoyed every minute of your parents' stay. It's always so sad to see them leave...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is hard to see them go since it will be a while before I see them again.

      Delete
  7. A lovely dress in a gorgeous shade of blue. My mother lives quite far away, for the UK, but to you she's practically next door. It's difficult for me to imagine the scale of the US!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I remember when I was living in England -- a 3 to 4 hour journey seemed very far away.

      Delete
  8. Annie you make me want to create things. This is so sweet that you made something for you mother! I love seeing each "experiment" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, so sweet. I think you would create lovely things!

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie