Diving into Scuba Knit: The Jeanette Dress

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Since the beginning of the year I have spied more blog posts featuring scuba knit.  I devoured all the wonder and wisdom of scuba knit other bloggers shared.  The lady at my local fabric shop scrunched her face into a knot when I asked about it, "Honey, why would you want scuba knit!?"  I did not really have an answer to that question.  In fact, I didn't even know what to sew with scuba knit.  But I wanted it.  Bad.  Hi. My name is Annie and I have a fabric addiction problem.  I found a floral scuba knit online at Fabricmart and decided to feed my addiction.

Experiment:
On the Cutting Floor's Jeanette Dress
Size 6

Materials:
2 1/2 yards of floral scuba knit
White Maxi Cone Serger Thread

Procedure:
I was school-girl giddy when my package arrived.  The scuba knit was soft and spongey.  It had a nice stretch with decent recovery.  Turned out it was easy to sew and yielded a comfortable garment.  But that was hind sight, because at the time of the purchase and the package arrival, I had no idea what to sew.  I decided to give it whirl when On the Cutting Floor's Daniela needed testers for a knit dress.
The dress did not specify scuba knit.  Regardless, I was using the scuba knit.  I reasoned that if it turned out disastrous, it was ok.  Sewing to me is a journey and not everything works.  Luckily, it worked. Fab-u-lous-ly. The Jeanette dress is a close-fitting princess seam knit dress with raglan sleeves.  Daniela graciously makes her patterns available for free.  You can read about her philosophy here.   If you haven't heard of On the Cutting Floor or seen the many wonderful patterns Daniela has created, please go visit her blog!
The instructions provided detail how to draft the Jeanette pattern but it also includes the pattern pieces for the math phobic (so do not fret if the thought of drafting something is beyond intimidating, she's got ya covered!).  I enjoyed all the technical directions since it involves technical speak and math.  The only pattern piece that was not provided was the neckband.  I measured the inside of the neckline of the garment (it turned out to be 25") and because of the the stretchiness of knits, I subtracted 3", and cut a 22" by 2" rectangle.  I did also have to remove about 1/3" from where the raglan sleeve meets the princess seam in the front.  On me, there was a touch too much room.  Removing the excess fabric got rid of shoulder boobs.
The scuba knit actually helps to add the illusion that I have curves.  Here are some of my favorite features of this pattern:

  • Can be completed on a serger.  Yeah, I am a lazy knit seamstress.
  • Band at the hemline.  I can't help but thinking it gives the dress a throwback vibe.
  • Raglan flutter sleeves.
  • Princess seams are very flattering on many shapes.  That also means no darts to deal with.
My floral version is a "Take me out for cocktails, honey" dress or a "She wore that to a garden party!?" dress.   It is completely modest but still a smidge sexy.  Would it not look great for the work place color blocked in gray or black or white?  Imagine rocking that in the boardroom.  Below is my boardroom power pose -- watch out!  I am sharing this dress of Gray All Day's Sew Chic in a Week --so much inspiration!  
The above reflects my own personal opinion of the pattern and directions (I really do like the pattern and my finished dress!).  Please note that I tested the pattern before it was released and did not receive any compensation.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
28 Comments »

28 Responses to “Diving into Scuba Knit: The Jeanette Dress ”

  1. your dress looks great! I also have a piece of scuba lurking *somewhere* in my stash! Yours looks really summery and rather Cath kidston esque!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! It does have that floral vibe.

      Delete
  2. Ive been curious about scuba knit too but I have a hard time wearing synthetics. I would have to touch before buying for sure. Im glad to hear of you had a positive experience with On The Cutting Floor. My experience has been the opposite. It would take a lot for me to try her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly rate scuba knit. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...sometimes patterns just don't work for you -- I have encountered a couple of these.

      Delete
  3. Definitely a good pairing with the floral and pattern. The idea of playing with some math makes me want to try this one. I have some black embossed fabric that was labeled scuba knit, but not as gorgeous as your floral. My one big question is how does the fabric feel in the heat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette that is a great question. I haven't worn it out in the full blown heat but I am betting it doesn't breathe very well.

      Delete
  4. Love this dress. I've heard so much about scuba knit but haven't tried it. It looks easy to wear...is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Very easy to wear and sew with...

      Delete
  5. Wow! You look stunning in it! Such vibrant colors, and the shape of the dress is perfect :) I have just fondled scuba knit in my lfs, but haven't had the nerve to try it. It is expensive over here, and I really don't know what to do with it... Might try it, though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! To be honest, I wanted scuba knit so bad but I didn't want to pay a lot for it since I didn't know what to do with it. Found this one on sale....

      Delete
  6. It looks gorgeous - scuba knit looks as though it doesn't cling to the spots you don't want it to cling too, just skims over instead. I'm wondering what it was like to sew - probably fun, because it would feel so different to ordinary fabrics. I'm wondering what it is like to wear in the heat as well. I haven't seen such a nice pattern over here - they seem to run to the lurid. Enjoy wearing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah Liz it is a dream to sew with...I will report back with how it wears but I do like the spongey softness of it.

      Delete
  7. One word. Fierce. With all that people have written about scuba in the past year, it's hard not to want to sew it up immediately. It fits so well, and the floral is great. Whenever I find a scuba print in my colors, I'm taking the plunge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should take the plunge at least for one garment, right?

      Delete
  8. Pretty dress and print! The pattern really show your curves. I never try or own scuba fabric and I think I will look for it :)
    I really love the finished hem. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks awesome!! I love the scuba knit, great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, the backside of this looks ah-mazing (sorry to be so forward!) It does look like awesome fabric and you might be seeing me grab some of it soon! Like I need more fabric...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never thought I would say it but my rear does look good! Thanks Helena!

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous. Love the pattern and it looks awesome on you. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful print and those floaty sleeves with the close fitting shift look awesome. I have bought some scuba. No idea what to do with it. Thinking skirt possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely. I haven't used or seen scuba knit but looks like I'll have to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely. I haven't used or seen scuba knit but looks like I'll have to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely. I haven't used or seen scuba knit but looks like I'll have to!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Never used scuba knit - is it very stretchy? Looks fab :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty dress Anna, looks a good fit. Thank you for sharing Link to free patterns

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie