I Found My BFF...Pattern To Be Clear.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

It's true.  I am about to gush and I don't even know if this pattern has an idea of how infatuated I am with it.  I found a BFF pattern.  True Bias' Hudson pants could very well be my bestie.

Experiment:
Hudson pant
Size 6

Materials:
Scrap blue knit
1.5 yards of black batik
Elastic
0.5 yards of black rib knit

Procedure:
When I first saw the pattern, to be honest, I was like 'Meh' (imagine a shrugging of shoulders and wrinkled face).  The Hudson Pant was part of one of the Perfect Pattern Parcels that were popular last year.  You can see how long this pattern has been in my stash.  A lot of my sewing is born out of the necessity of something I need.  Since I have been RTW fasting, I tend to go to my patterns and fabric stash to make what I need.  It is also funny that once you don't indulge in something you don't really miss it.   When I go shopping with my son or husband, nine times out of ten, I feel the fabric, size up what they are going to buy and say " I think I can make this."  I have a big gap in my current wardrobe: baseball game attire.  Being a travel baseball mom is proving to be hard to dress for...sometimes games span all day long so one needs to be comfortable in the sun (I got sunburnt after applying copious amounts of SPF 50) and warm under the ballpark lights.
I needed these in my closet.  When I found the batik at my local fabric store, I wanted these in my closet.  I decided on making a woven Hudson pant after seeing Kellie's silk version.    The batik was first-rate.  It was not expensive and could serve as a great muslin.  After debating between 2 and 3 sizes, I decided to go three sizes up from my recommend knit version size to accommodate the non-stretchy fabric.  I probably could have gone up another size just to give a little more room in the behind.  Regardless, the fit is spot on.
Kellie changed the pockets and straightened the leg with her woven version.  I liked the lounge look of the pants - I just didn't have any knit on hand that screamed 'Hudson Pants'! I did not change the overall shape of the pant.  In fact, it felt only right to keep the knit waistband and cuffs with the shorter version.   I cut the smallest size waist and cuffs and stretched the goodness out of them to get them to fit.

I used a scrap of blue marbled knit for the pocket detail.  I was soon excited how it matched (an argument for keeping even the tiniest scrap of fabric!).  I used my serger for most of the construction - gosh, the serger is handy.
I opted not to add the drawstring feature and instead used the rib knit to encase the elastic waistband. I am loving how this version turned out.  I think a longer version in woven with the same details would be a worthy experiment.
A pants pattern that I like!?!  I know, I know -- crazy!  I think that is why I am so infatuated with the Hudson pant -- I can envision several experiments in a variety of fabrics that would yield some fancy pants (get the pun??).  I got my MAGAM in the nick of time.  Hope you are having a fabulous week!

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
19 Comments »

19 Responses to “I Found My BFF...Pattern To Be Clear.”

  1. You and your new mate look as though you've always been BFFs. The most coolest cutest cutoffs ever. You have just filled my gapping summer hole that I didn't know I had ....I want, I need, I'm off to find ...LOVE EM XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a secret they are comfy! I think they look chic since I haven't seen a pair like this. ;)

      Delete
  2. These are great! I think this is the first version I've seen using woven fabric and I love it!

    -Eileen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen! I googled woven hudson pants since I was really unsure of how many sizes to go up -- there are some cute ones out there in cyberspace.

      Delete
  3. These trousers look great! I love the Batik too :-). I actually cut ou the pattern and ironed my fabric for these the other night - also in a woven. Yours are the kick up the bum I needed to get sewing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooohhh Jennifer, I cannot wait to see your version.

      Delete
  4. Like you, I didn't fancy these when I saw them - but your version is great. I realise that I probably have the pattern since I bought the pattern parcels, but lots of things on the to do list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you feel. My to-sew list grows faster than I can sew and I always am quick to snatch up pattern deals.

      Delete
  5. I LOVE them!! I am an a batik fan!! Sadly, I have never used this fabric but oh how I drool over it in the stores! Anyway, your post is perfect because I have been on a mission to find workout pants that I am not allergic too (nylon allergy). Your idea will be the next on my work table!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Boo for nylon allergy but I am sure the Hudson pants will work for you if you find that right fabric!

      Delete
  6. Very cool pants :) They look very comfy, and the print gives them a little edge. I love finding perfect patterns, makes sewing easy peasy. Instant satisfaction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are just the most perfect baseball pants - you are so going to love wearing these. The fabric is fantastic and I love the way you have picked out the pocket edges with blue, and I love the black rib at waist and bottom. Enjoy the games :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look awesome! I've made a pair of long Hudsons, and I want to make some cropped ones too. Yours are perect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely pants! It looks so comfy but stylish :) Love your fabric too, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I can't wait to see all your forthcoming experiments with this pattern. These are so versatile and cool. The cropped length keeps them from being sloppy, too. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie