Geek Chic April: My Rainy Day Emery

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Hiya!  I am excited to share my latest geeky creation.  I knew I needed a weather dress.  I am a professor in an atmospheric science department so it was only fitting I find fabric that featured rain clouds.  What's even more geeky is that I intended to wear this dress to a ground-breaking ceremony for a new weather facility but it was postponed because of . . . torrential rain!

Experiment:
Emery Dress
Size 0


Materials:
3 yards Washday Cotton by Andover Fabrics
Mettler Gray Thread
Cream 22" zip

Procedure:
I need to set the record straight: weather is not my thing (ask my students!  I am quite crap at forecasting weather and oblivious to current weather unless I am in a deluge).  Severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, or tornadoes do not excite me but rather frighten me as I am intimately aware of their destrctuctive capability (Wanna calculate hypothetically how much energy a storm has???).  I am totally ga-ga over the chemistry of the atmosphere and clouds.   When I started my path of study I was a naive molecule-devotee who quickly learned that you need to know a tad about weather to figure out where and how the clouds and air move in order to study the chemistry.
Blah blah blah, I could go on and on.  Enough with science.  Let's discuss the details. I have gushed over the Emery dress before.  She's incredibly flattering and has a vintage vibe.  This is a perfect work uniform for me and includes pockets for all my goodies.  I used some fabric scares of another cotton that featured waves.  Waves occur in our atmosphere -- and now they occur in my pockets.
I decided that I really like lapped zippers.  Err, let me be a tad more honest...I can make a beautiful lapped zipper but my invisible zips, well, they are hit or miss.  I have no idea why -- some look professional and others look like amateur.   The lapped zip is totally machine stitched and sports a nice clean look.  Someday I'll work up the courage to do a hand basted zip but I am satisfied with the zipper techniques I have in my sewing arsenal.
I like the idea of a work uniform.  Something that I don't need to think about in the morning -- quirky dresses.  The only bummer in this plan is ironing.  I do prefer the fluff and go kind of outfit.  Ironing takes foresight which kind of defeats the idea of not really having to think about what you wear to work.
This fabric was  a dream to sew.  It is soft.  Highly recommend.   Afar the dress appears to be polka-dotted in a smattering of colors but when you are up close you can see the little rain clouds -- squee! so cute.  While I didn't get to wear it to the ground-breaking ceremony, there are plenty of nerdy events in my future.  I am completely jazzed at how this turned out so I am sharing on Sew Chic in a Week!
Happy Earth Day!



 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
31 Comments »

31 Responses to “Geek Chic April: My Rainy Day Emery”

  1. Love the fabric and the dress but I REALLY love the lapped zipper! Works perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love fabrics that look like one thing from a distance, but then become something else close up. And your lapped zipper is perfection :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like the fabric for that reason. Nerdy but still wearable!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! I can't help but make the Miss Frizzle comparison, but in the best possible way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Frizzle is not a bad lady to be compared to...! I'll take it.

      Delete
  4. Love the science in this dress! Totally geek chic fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressed :) not only with a fantastic dress but the science in the story too - love how it subtly matches what you do with hidden details in the wave pockets, it's really clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My students are going to love this!

      Delete
  6. Love the rainclouds!! I also love the waves the concept totally appeals to me :-). I definately agree about the emery too - it's such a versatile dress and can be worn for so many occasions! it fits you really great too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I like the simplicity including the lined bodice!

      Delete
  7. Lovely dress - clouds and waves fit into your background story so beautifully. I think your lapped zip looks great - I haven't yet managed one of those. I'm told they're better than invisible zips for many applications so I'd like to achieve one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tutorials on YouTube have help me perfect it. Now I should focus on invisible zips. Thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely dress - clouds and waves fit into your background story so beautifully. I think your lapped zip looks great - I haven't yet managed one of those. I'm told they're better than invisible zips for many applications so I'd like to achieve one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress, and the print :D So cute! I like the idea of a work uniform. Unlucky for me, my factory already has them, and they are not cute. That's manly, navy blue overalls all around. Oh, how I hate those.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But at least you don't have to think about work clothes and then you can spend all your time making dreamy fun clothes! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. Very cute Annie! I love the mix of colors!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's adorable! I love the fabric and the fit is very good. Very sciency, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I hit the science nail on the head! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. Beautiful dress and it suits you perfectly! Love the fabric and story behind the dress :) Your lapped zipper done perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana -- I am really loving the lapped sipper too!

      Delete
  13. This is so cute! I love that print. I'm so jealous of your lapped zipper. Invisible zippers are my go-to, but that's mostly because my lapped zippers look atrocious. Yours is absolutely lovely!

    www.thegeekyseamstress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, a beautiful fabric and the perfect match for the pattern. But I really had to laugh , how ironic that you didn't get to wear it because of rain.
    Hope you will have a lot of other occations to wear it.
    And shall I confess something? Never, ever in my life have I tried an invisible zipper. I chose lapped ones all the times, weather hand-picked or machine-sewn depends on my mood and the fabric.
    ~ette

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this fabric! so cute. Your lapped zip is super neat - if it's working for you, I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, you have certainly mastered the lapped zip nicely :). Some people can't do them. I like them because you don't have to have a totally matching zip - and ordinary zippers are cheaper too.

    I love this material - and this dress always suit you. Pretty and practical.

    Talking about weather, we had plenty this week...plus the destruction.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You achieved an amazing fit here! Great job. So cute and flattering.
    I need to wear more cute prints like this. Maybe some typography prints? Little web pages are not really a thing they put on fabric, I assume.

    ReplyDelete
  18. love the colours in the fabric - so much fun ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. top geek award defo - love how you manage to get so many fabric designs to match your other life :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this one is perfection :) Love the match of fabric to profession! And yes, I agree, a very nicely done zip.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie