Let Me Tell You Something You Already Know

Thursday, February 12, 2015

The sun finally decided to grace us with some of its rays.  My little family could not pass up enjoying a sunny beautiful weekend.  We decided to visit a World Heritage site  called Poverty Point that features one of the oldest known earthworks by Native Americans in North America.  Its origin is somewhere between 1100 and 1700 BC.   To make this earthwork, it took something like 53 million cubic feet of soil to build.  From the air, the earthwork is in the shape of a bird.  It is a massive mound as you can see Jules demonstrating below.  It was sunny, the air was crisp, and my soon to be 8 year-old hiked around 3 miles at a pretty decent pace.  This was a new venture for our family as we have lived in Louisiana for about seven years but there was always some reason or another as to why we had not or could not go to this historical site.  Boom! Checking off stuff on our Louisiana bucket list.
The next day Jules, my husband and I went to the symphony. The pops concert featured movie music and themes.  It was a laid back afternoon concert where you can bring wine and snacks.  Needless to say, we all had a great time and there is nothing like the Rocky Theme to motivate you to sew especially after the New Look of Horror.  I whipped up another Sewaholic Renfrew to jumpstart my sewjo.  I say another because I have made this pattern several times but have never blogged about my love for it.

Experiment:
Sewaholic Renfrew, View C
Size 2

Materials:
2.5 yards of Ponte knit from Fabricmart
Clear Elastic
Serger Thread

Procedure:
I needed this.  The "Hell Yeah" to follow up my last make.  I don't know if I have it in me to do a narrow-shoulder adjustment on my New Look of Horror -- just the sound of it makes me cringe.
I am fully aware that all of my makes cannot be winners.  And I always have grand plans to sew another version of a pattern I like -- does that actually happen!? Most of the time the new version never materializes  The Renfrew, however, has been an exception.  I have little to no self-control when it comes to patterns and fabric.  I am trying to resist another pattern splurge -- I want the Lola Pattern from Victory -- sweatshirt to work!?  Sign me up!  My last splurge gifted me with the Rae skirt (for my sister), the Belcarra blouse, and the Renfrew to fill the blouse voids in my handmade wardrobe.
The Renfrew did not disappoint.  I made a wearable muslin (and one for my mom in red knit) out of a random brown knit in my stash.  It seems like I wear this at least once a week.  I was then on a mission to find the right knit for the next one.  I went on a knit shopping spree and bought two and half yards of a marine blue sweater knit.  It was soft with drape.   Well, well, well, after I prewashed the knit that little bastard was so slinky it was hard to get a crisp fold on the grain.  I spent a good hour folding, shaking, smoothing, folding, shaking, smoothing, - it was maddening.  I punted after I got so frustrated with trying to fold on the grain (any ideas of an easy way to do this are appreciated) and went to this green and black ponte I had in my stash.
I used my serger for most of the construction.  I only used the machine when I thought I needed to baste -- honestly, that was only the cowl neck.  I should admit that this started out as View A but I could not get the neckband to lay flat so I unpicked the seam and cut out the cowl (Thank the heavens for extra fabric!).  The cuffs and waistband were ideal for the serger.  I get why this is such a beloved pattern.  It calls for a lot of fabric but if you are creative, I think you can get away with less.
It was so windy when my husband took these pictures.  I did not even take as many as I normally do -  - I was expecting to do a reshoot when there was no wind (I am not trying to sound pretentious, I promise -- I want decent pictures of the garment).    I am glad I looked at the photos  -- wind = messy hair = interesting photos.

Happy Stitching!

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
18 Comments »

18 Responses to “Let Me Tell You Something You Already Know”

  1. It's a nice Renfrew! I've just sewn my first Renfrew last week, but it won't be the last :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are addictive! And versatile.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely top! Great trip, too! Very jealous of your weather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is nice one day and then horrid the next. It is get the timing right to take pictures! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This looks great! The fabric looks really cool too. I love the cowl neck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When are you going to make yours? I can't wait to see it.

      Delete
  4. Tasia's patterns are super! You've done a great job putting your own spin on the Renfrew with this lovely fabric.

    PS....I think your look great with the breeze blowing your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Sue! Tania's patterns are super!

      Delete
  5. These pictures are just beautiful, Annie. And, it looks like the Renfrew is a perfect wardrobe staple for work, weekend and everything in between. The cowl is particularly flattering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I *really* like this pattern.

      Delete
  6. That looks like the perfect cozy cute top. Great color and fit! The longer sleeves make it look super comfy, but the cowl is so stylish (you know I love drape!). Yay for getting your sew-jo back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect winter wear. Especially since we've had a cold snap.

      Delete
  7. The fabric is great. And I love pictures that turn out like this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alicia Phelps21/2/15 11:26 AM

    I feel like the Renfrew is one of the best "I need to sew something and need to work" patterns. That is also a really gorgeous print, so it just needed a simple shape to shine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Renfrew is a great pattern. And you are right, it allows for the fabric to shine! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie