It's Like a Chocolate Dipped Oreo

Saturday, January 10, 2015

I like to reserve a little time each day to sew.  It's a miracle that I am getting something done this week as it has been a hectic blur.  We (Mr. Chemist, Julian, and I) all started back to our respective schools.  Gone were the lazy pajama days of the holiday break.  The familiar routine returned along with a crabby seven year-old (How I wish I could be crabby and demanding when I have to get up extra early!).  Knowing that pace is going to increase day by day, week by week, I spent the past Sunday afternoon cutting several patterns (New Look 6289, Sewaholic’s Belcarra, Simplicity 1530).   A week later, viola my dear readers, I do have a finished project to share:

Experiment:
Anna-Emery Dress Hack

Materials:
1.5 yards of Native American Inspired cotton
1.25 yards burnt orange cotton blend
Gutterman Thread: Light Gray colored
22" Invisible zip (Ecru colored from stash)


Procedure:
I have professed my love for By Hand London’s Anna dress and Christine Haynes’ Emery dress.  A marriage of these splendid patterns (-- like a chocolate dipped Oreo, pure goodness) along with a slight adjustment in the skirt wrapped up the last of my holiday sewing.  I wanted to make my Anna maxi with the Native American inspired fabric

but Mr. Chemist squawked, “Too much.”  I begrudgingly admit it: he was right  -- the fabric is lovely and a whole maxi dress would’ve have been a hideous-couch-cushion-nightmare.  Problem was that I had already cut all the pieces of the pattern and sewn the bodice.  I tossed the bodice aside promising myself I would revisit.  Wweeelllll, cleaning up my stash I found a burnt orange cotton blend and it was just enough for an Emery skirt. 

I put the bodice up on the Brain (my dress form) and began to play.  The dress looked drabbed with an orange skirt – a foreign color in my wardrobe   I retraced the Emery skirt and drafted a color-block skirt with a bottom band of about 3 inches.   This broke up the orange and tied it into the bodice with mere fabric scrapes.  Check out the pocket pop:
If I have to find any fault with Anna, it is that she is hard to wear with a cardigan or sweater.  Her bodice does not want to be covered!  The latest round of chilly air has me reaching for oversized sweaters and fleece.  I’ll have to wait a bit to wear my Annery or Emena out.

Happy Sewing!
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
16 Comments »

16 Responses to “It's Like a Chocolate Dipped Oreo ”

  1. It looks great,the colours make me feel like summer (and that means something, the day here has been grey and wet). And it was a great idea to make the skirt from the orange fabric. I struggle with different problems regularly and quite often my boyfriend saves my projects from ending up at the back of the closet, never to be worn, he is much better in judging patterns and outfits than I am.
    I like how you urepeatd the patterned fabric not only at the hem, but also in the pockets, great idea.
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to learn that your boyfriend also has a fashion eye. My husband thinks I could get better at pictures and styling...hopefully, I can improve over the year!

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress! Love the bright and summery fabrics :)
    Nice work, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The advice/comments from other halves/non-sewers can be *so* useful, and this is a case in point - your dress looks super! I'd love to set it paired with a dark belt to pick up a further colour from the bodice fabric - intrigued whether it would work or not. Totally agree with your approach to sewing too, it soon adds up to a finished garment. Rachel :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have blinders on during a project -- helps to have a vocal hubby.

      Delete
  4. I love the fabrics you've combined - it's something I would've never thought of but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure what your climate is, but you are all set for summer when it comes - a lovely little fun dress. I like the pocket pop.

    I do the same when I sense a busy patch - cut a few things. Of course, that only works going in - during the patch I can only cut one thing as the time and concentration are just not there.

    You must be so busy now - half way through semester and all the demands of a seven year old - finding a bit of Annie time must be challenging. And those winter days are not great for the motivation are they?

    I found your comment on the olocker - I hope it gets back with you soon. And, I start back late February - we have our main long break in our summer (Australia) and the short one in mid year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our term just started today after a short holiday break. Hopefully, I can keep my sewjo going! Enjoy your break!

      Delete
  6. It's definately an Annery - I love it! I like how well the orange of the skirt matches with the orange in the aztec print - you would have thought that it had been an intended match from the start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annery -- love it! I had the orange from a costume I made my son. So nice when the stars align.

      Delete
  7. Love the color blocking! It worked out perfectly for this project. That pocket pop is adorable :)

    www.thegeekyseamstress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was skeptical at first but it worked!

      Delete
  8. Love it! The colours and cut look fantastic on you x

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie