We Wish You a Merry Christmas Dress

Sunday, December 28, 2014

Shamefully, I realized that the majority of my wardrobe is a shade of black or blue.  This epiphany was bestowed upon me the morning of dead day during fall semester final exams (this is a day where no final exams are given -- don't ask where the name comes from -- haven't heard it at any other place either!).  We had a hot chocolate bar for the faculty in our department and I wanted to look festive.  Sadly, I do not own a red top and the only red dress I own was not appropriate for an office hot chocolate party (more like cocktails and dancing).   In the end, I wore a white linen top with silver jewelry, hoping to capture some winter magic and look festive.  I vowed to remedy this.
Experiment:
Vogue 8615, size 8

Materials:
3 yards red cotton
22" red zipper
Coats and Clark Red Thread.

Procedure:
In fact, I resolved this holiday dilemma by Christmas, well, Christmas Eve.  In reality, I was sewing frantically on the afternoon of Christmas Eve.  I decided on a pattern that I know works for my body.  This is a Very Easy Vogue pattern and I like the nod to a vintage silhouette.  The neckline is high and the back dips into a V-shape.  


Cleaning before the in-laws arrived, baking Christmas goodies, entertaining my little one, and I decide it is time to sew.  I know I am a little nutty. I modified the pattern to reduce my sewing time.


  • I reduced the front bodice by 5/8" and cut on fold.  Later, it occurred to me that I should have done the same thing with the skirt panel.  Oh well.
  • Omitted the pockets.  As much as I love pockets, straight-line sewing is a snap.
  • I chose not to line the bodice and skirt because I did not have enough lining fabric in my stash.  I finished neckline with bias tape and wore a slip with it.
  • I did manage to make the skirt the night before and allowed it to hang (Would have been a waste with a wonky hemline).  I did a narrow hem.
  • I did a center back zipper instead of invisible (did not have a red invisible zip).
The fabric is a red cotton with gold and red stars of a variety of shapes and sizes.  Hence, the sparkle in the photos.  I am pleased how this turned out. I love the swishiness of a circle skirt.  I tried to get photos swirling but my Nikon wouldn't cooperate -- autofocus not focusing more over, it won't focus at all (You can see from the poorly focused picture of the back above).   Troubleshooting did not yield any results.  In fact, I think he needs a tune up and a good clean.  Rotten apples. I will miss you.

Countdown to the New Year is on...

Happy Sewing.
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
15 Comments »

15 Responses to “We Wish You a Merry Christmas Dress”

  1. This is the perfect festive dress- comfortable, practical and elegant in style and with a bit of whimsy with the material. Great sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said earlier -- a "make it work" dress. Worth it in the end!

      Delete
  2. Very lovely dress. Before you wrote that it is a cotton fabric it looked like lace fabric to me, great effect when you look closer and realize these are actually stars :-)
    And what a bold endeavour to make such a dress amidst all the Christmas-preparations, chapeau! The result is really festivity-worthy, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely Ette -- there is something about cotton that I love -- although I dislike ironing very much!

      Delete
  3. what a beautiful dress, it looks perfect on you!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a classy dress! So Christmassy too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Classy Christmassy...love it! Thanks!

      Delete
  5. What a perfect holiday dress! Love the sparkle and the neckline and back v are so flattering. Lovely dress! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoyed your holidays too!

      Delete
  6. I like your Christmas dress because it's festive but it's not extremely obvious. I'd wear it all fall/winter. Wishing you a joyous rest of 2014! :] // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I agree it is subtle but still quite in the spirit of the holidays!

      Delete
  7. What a great dress - mad afternoon you had though. Well worth it I think - a dress that was themed to Xmas and to the Stars - totally Annie.

    I agree with Carmen - you could wear this on lots of occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Annie, this is a beautiful dress and you look gorgeous in it :) Really love the red color and the dress detail.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie