The Sandpoint Blouse

Sunday, October 26, 2014

Normalcy is creeping in -- just what I needed.  Time to sew has been limited -- double header baseball games, soccer games, and storm clean up makes for a long Saturday!   When Helena of GrayDay Patterns needed testers for her new pattern, The Sandpoint Blouse, I couldn't resist.  I saw the design in Indie Pattern contest on The Monthly Stitch.  Knit with a drapey back - subtle and surprising.  It was a perfect way to use the luscious maroon knit from Fabric Mart that I had been hoarding.  

Experiment: The Sandpoint Blouse, Size XS

Materials:
1 yard maroon knit
Serger thread (I am lazy gal at changing my serger thread so a neutral color is always on it).

 
Procedure:
This was such a pleasure to test!  Helena was organized and the only thing that stumped me was a couple of directions.  Not bad for a newbie pattern maker!  Here are a few of the reasons I gush about this pattern: First and foremost, you can sew this with your serger.   That means you can make this top in less than an afternoon and show it off that evening.  Ummmm, hello!?! Instant gratification. Second, this pattern is fabric friendly meaning you can squeeze it out of a yard of 60 inch knit (say what!?! I know, amazing!).   Third, you could get creative and squeeze it out of less and use coordinating fabric for the bands.  Fourth, the cowl neck in the back could be reversible (i.e. the cowl in the front).  I am telling you, I could go on....

The only truly pain-in-the-arse part was turning out the shoulder band (I hate this step in general since it seems to take forever and there is no easy way to do it -- or maybe I am clueless and someone can shed some light on a better way....???).  The shoulder band was handstitched to the inside of the shirt however, the option to have it lay on top is also there.   With the addition of  the band option at the waist, one can avoid a sewing machine.   


I know that I will get a lot of wear out of this because maroon is one of the colors of the university I work for and it is a perfect top to wear to sporting events especially the outdoor kind where the temperature is close to triple digits.  In Louisiana, it is hot and humid what feels like 6-7 months out of the year (A climate that this northern girl has not gotten used to yet!).  
You could easily lengthen this to a tunic and roll about with leggings and boots.  Or you could take the sides, lengthen, add a belt and voila! you have a dress.  I would like to try a drapey cozy sweater knit for an interesting fall top.
Another shot of the front and one more of the back (I can't resist!).


Happy Stitching!
Annie

 

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
10 Comments »

10 Responses to “The Sandpoint Blouse”

  1. This is a beautiful top - the possibilities are endless - wouldn't this be stunning for evening in the right sort of knit?

    I'm glad you are getting some normal again - and I agree, hot and humid is hard to adjust to - I live in a part of NSW that is hot and humid, and after 10 years I still don't like it. It gets tedious, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err -- I could give up hot and humid any day for more cold days. I like to layer but when it is hot, there is no escaping!

      Delete
  2. Pretty top and fabric! I really love the back detail :) I am sure this pattern will be nice to make a dress too. Good to see you back and I hope everything will be back to normal soon.


    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a great top, in a great color! And I leave neutral colors on my serger, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine changing my serger thread every go round. I am glad that I am not the only one.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that you are well and save after the storm.
    I have seen variants of this top online, but yours definitely is my favourite. Love the colour and the suble shine of your fabric.
    And with an oversized cardigan I can imagine it could be a true compagnion for the coming colder season, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had not thought of an oversize cardi for winter -- wonderful idea. I agree that the subtle shine really is interesting in this fabric. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Lovely top - looks great, uses very little fabric and can be made in an afternoon, plus lots of options for variety - what's not to like sounds like a dream of a pattern. Glad to learn things are getting back to normal for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love quick quick projects that is why you wedding dress alterations are amazing!!!

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie