Holy Guacamole Batman!

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Oi! Why is planning for fall sewing so hard?  Fall is here and I still have no plans. 

Experiment:
New Look 0916, Cigarette Pants
Size 8

Materials:
2 yards Black and white cotton sateen with 3% Lycra
Coats and Clark Black thread
3/4" Elastic


Procedure:
This is a UFO that has been hovering since July.  It all started when I got googly eyes for this back and white cotton sateen fabric. It had to be a pair of pants.  I figured it would be perfect for the Monosewn TMS challenge.  I passed it up for two months because more interesting projects came along.  More likely it was out of fear.  Last time I made this pattern in was a hot mess, rather a tight mess of ill-fitted twill...navy blue nightmare.  Through deductive reasoning and hoping that a little stretch around your booty can never hurt, I decided to try again...back in July.
I gave it a whirl again.  Amazingly, the fit without the waistband was decent.  I added the waistband and went to insert the zip, when the sewing muse encouraged me to try it on again.  They were big around the waist.  What the pickle?  How can you go from being too tight with navy twill and too big with cotton sateen? ...  Oh yeah, Lycra.  I loved the fabric and did not want to give it up so I improvised.


I drafted a rectangle waistband that could hold 3/4" elastic.  I followed this tutorial by Nancy Zieman (I remember watching her on PBS eons ago!) in which your serge the elastic to the top of the waistband, fold under and stitch only at the seams.  This is in lieu of making a casing and inserting the elastic.  What is neat about this trick is that it doesn't appear to be an elastic waist.   No wrinkling or puckering as a dead-giveaway with elastic (Don't get me wrong, I was going to make a casing until I stumbled upon that tutorial.).  Now my pants are snug. And they look snappy.  I also ended up shortening the pants by two inches as they were rather long on my.
Holy guacamole Batman!  I just made a pair of pants I will wear, I can wear to work, I like to wear!  For those who have conquered this feat and at this point, if still reading, and are rolling their eyes, too bad. It's not earth shattering sewing but I am quite a happy hen!

We have baseball and soccer practices for Jules scattered throughout the week so my evenings are hectic.  This means resorting to my 30-minute sewing as soon as my son goes to bed.  This is how I sew.  Typically, Sunday evening I put a pdf pattern togehter or cut out a Big 4 pattern.  Monday is fabric cut and begin sewing.  It works wonders and by the end of the week, I usually have something made.
Still thinking about fall sewing!

Happy Buttons!
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
30 Comments »

30 Responses to “Holy Guacamole Batman! ”

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these pants! The fit is great and that print is really cool. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pants are so cute! Enjoy wearing them to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to make several more pairs since they are so comfy. Work pants and comfort rarely get along!

      Delete
  4. Love the shoes! And the pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every girl needs a pair of pink shoes!

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant idea about the waistband. Those trousers are beautifull...and I bet they're comfortable too. They look great with those shoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the waistband is clever. Much prettier than a casing.

      Delete
  6. I like the whole look!! And the pants are sooooo awesome!! I am proud of you for completing these, it really is a feat I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pants are just great - I'm glad you rescued them. Motto, too big and you can downsize. Too small, and can you upsize???

    Your shoes are just wonderful - work well with the conservative white shirt. Great look all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to make a white tunic to go with ... your burda tunic is very pretty I think I may have to make it!

      Delete
  8. Love these they look lovely on you and a good fit. I'm off to check out the Nancy tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pants, and awesome shoes ;) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that waistband technique, and the final product looks great. My problem with fall sewing is never a lack of plans; it's having more plans than I can possibly do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you sew up!

      Delete
  11. Fabulous Darling. I tried a pair in the summer and OOooo mess up big time- I know I need to get back in the saddle and you've convinced me:)
    Loving them shoes too xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't get myself to sew during the week. It's working really well for you. You've made yourself yet another gorgeous garment. Great pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer dresses but sometimes in the cold winter I just want pants. These are perfect. Thanks.

      Delete
  13. beautiful pattern!

    Vanessa Van
    http://vanessavanhandmade.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks --- I really like the things you have made!

      Delete
  14. Maybe I should overcome my fear and start sewing pants,yours look great and I am tempted to believe that it is as easy as you say ;-)
    Thank you for linking to the waistband tutorial. I have already seem the technique on store bought skirts, but it never occured to me to use it on my handmade things, too, wonder why.
    And I can only agree with the others: great outift, beautiful combination with the blouse and oh that shoes!!!
    ~ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it sewing pants. It will make you curse and I am by no means an expert. But it does make it less scary for the next time round.

      Delete
  15. love these trousers. the pattern works really well with the fabric (and the shoes :-D). I'm currently working up the courage to muslin a pair of thurlows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please tell(show) how the thurlows work out. I think that is a rad pattern...

      Delete
  16. These trousers are ace and the styling is top notch! Love it all. I'm reading through loads of your posts over Sunday brunch (which is blissful) so you might see a few comments in a row, lol. My brain can't work out the waistband though - how does it not have any puckers if you pull them on? Rachel ☺

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie