New Look 0916, Cigarette Pants
2 yards Black and white cotton sateen with 3% Lycra
Coats and Clark Black thread
This is a UFO that has been hovering since July. It all started when I got googly eyes for this back and white cotton sateen fabric. It had to be a pair of pants. I figured it would be perfect for the Monosewn TMS challenge. I passed it up for two months because more interesting projects came along. More likely it was out of fear. Last time I made this pattern in was a hot mess, rather a tight mess of ill-fitted twill...navy blue nightmare. Through deductive reasoning and hoping that a little stretch around your booty can never hurt, I decided to try again...back in July.
I gave it a whirl again. Amazingly, the fit without the waistband was decent. I added the waistband and went to insert the zip, when the sewing muse encouraged me to try it on again. They were big around the waist. What the pickle? How can you go from being too tight with navy twill and too big with cotton sateen? ... Oh yeah, Lycra. I loved the fabric and did not want to give it up so I improvised.
I drafted a rectangle waistband that could hold 3/4" elastic. I followed this tutorial by Nancy Zieman (I remember watching her on PBS eons ago!) in which your serge the elastic to the top of the waistband, fold under and stitch only at the seams. This is in lieu of making a casing and inserting the elastic. What is neat about this trick is that it doesn't appear to be an elastic waist. No wrinkling or puckering as a dead-giveaway with elastic (Don't get me wrong, I was going to make a casing until I stumbled upon that tutorial.). Now my pants are snug. And they look snappy. I also ended up shortening the pants by two inches as they were rather long on my.
Holy guacamole Batman! I just made a pair of pants I will wear, I can wear to work, I like to wear! For those who have conquered this feat and at this point, if still reading, and are rolling their eyes, too bad. It's not earth shattering sewing but I am quite a happy hen!
We have baseball and soccer practices for Jules scattered throughout the week so my evenings are hectic. This means resorting to my 30-minute sewing as soon as my son goes to bed. This is how I sew. Typically, Sunday evening I put a pdf pattern togehter or cut out a Big 4 pattern. Monday is fabric cut and begin sewing. It works wonders and by the end of the week, I usually have something made.
Still thinking about fall sewing!
share this on »