She Blinded Me With Science, Well, Subtle Science

Saturday, September 13, 2014


#Geekyconfessions.  I am a self-professed nerd.  Nah, that is probably not true -- plenty of people have called me a nerd throughout my life and I embraced it.    I am not ashamed that I love science and math.  I like to read.   I love fantastical sci-fi epics whether it be a TV show, movie, or book.  Here are several of my geeky confessions:
  • I read 4 books of the Game of Thrones series. That's several thousand pages (at least I am a quick reader).  WTH?  How is it possible that the plot barely develops in 1000s of pages? I Wikipedia-ed the other books to read a synopsis of the plots.  I am still scratching my head.
  • Outlander -- Errr, where do I start?  Blah, blah and more blah. Why would you bother with the TV version?
  • When in grad school, a roommate got my husband and I hooked on Smallville.  I am pretty sure I have seen all the teenage drama that accompanied Superman growing up in Kansas (Boy, there was a lot of drama and aliens!!).
  • I resisted seeing the Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit as long as I could...I can remember reading The Hobbit in 4th grade and hating it.  I reread it with Jules, my seven year-old, this summer and didn't mind it.  Love the movies -- Jules and I are plotting what costumes I should make for the 3rd movie!
Experiment:  
Simplicity 1419, Lisette Round Trip Jacket
Size 8
Materials: 
2 yards South Sea Imports Atomic cotton
Cotton Interfacing
Gray Thread 

Procedure:
Huzzah!  Chemistry fabric makes the ultimate nerdy jacket.  My Dolly Clacket dress from Lisette's 1419 dress is a staple in my wardrobe.  When I made it, I tossed the jacket pattern aside.  But since I saw Elizabeth's, from Sewn By Elizabeth, wonderful version of this jacket (and dress!), I gave it a second thought.  Further, I only had two yards of this precious fabric.  I did not think twice and began cutting.
An advanced beginner could handle making this jacket.  I had a little serger boo-boo and knifed through the sleeve.  I fretted for all of two seconds realizing that I could save it.  As such, under the sleeve there is a tuck on both sides.  I have to say that the tuck looks like it is part of the design.  The angled lapels rock (look at how they line up -- Woot! Woot!).  I added two hook and eyes under the lapels to keep the jacket closed.
I love the ruffles. If I were being really critical, I would probably lengthen it a tad.  Adding some length would cause it to fall at my hips.  After MMM14, I realized I needed more functional garments.  This jacket is light enough to throw over a cami or dress.  
Now for my #geekysewingconfessions

  • Colette Patterns.  I want to love you but you take sooooo much work to fit.  Too much work. Too frustrating.  
  • I dislike hemming but I dislike hand-sewing even more. 
  • I refrain from buying every Indie pattern just because it is new or there is a sew-along (Believe me I am tempted and always trying to convince myself I need a new pattern).   I wish I was a blogger that could afford every new pattern but the reality is that I know my body and I know my style.  Some Indie patterns suit me and others would be a waist of time and money because they would never be flattering or I would never feel comfortable.
  • I want to sew my own geeky wardrobe.  This really isn't a confession since it should be obvious.
Happy Sewing!
Annie










 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
35 Comments »

35 Responses to “She Blinded Me With Science, Well, Subtle Science”

  1. Aaaah! I thought the jacket looked really cute in the further away pictures, but it's even cuter close up! I love the print! It's great how it's so subtly geeky. It's like a more mature Ms. Frizzle :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Ms Frizzle fan! Can't go wrong with the Magic School Bus!

      Delete
  2. That jacket is too cute!! It looks amazing on you! I share your view on not buying every new indie pattern. It's sooo tempting but would ultimately bankrupt me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie patterns are addicting and expensive and fun and worth it (just not all of them!).

      Delete
  3. It's gorgeous! Amazing colour on the fabric. Great idea adding the hook and eye, I need to do the same. I really want to make a knit version as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knit would look good. Stylish for spring :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful fabric! I never would have guessed it to be geeky from far away. You did a wonderful job! I can't wait to see what else you come up with. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Geek chic -- I think I fit that bill ;)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful jacket!!!! Great styling too! I wonder if it would work in a double knit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure it would! Double knits are stable -- it would make a nice easy sew.

      Delete
  7. I suspect there are a few of us who are nerdy sewers out here in the blogosphere. Yes, good idea to build a functional wardrobe that also suits you. It takes forever, but so does shopping for clothes - and I know which path I prefer!

    Now on to the jacket - it's lovely and suits you beautifully (wouldn't suit me). You could make a couple of these - in plain colours too, if you are wanting to build up some basics.

    By the way, the green bricks in the wall behind you are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah Liz! You always make me smile.

      Delete
  8. Very cute jacket, Annie! I especially love those ruffles at the hemline. The fabric is so lovely too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love love love the fabric, it looks brilliant as a jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I love love love this fabric! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. You made such an adorable jacket!! The fabric is great, and I like getting to know more about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! I liked reading your blog hop and learning about you!

      Delete
  11. It fits you so perfectly! I love the fabric; very beautiful jacket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make a muslin (I should admit that I rarely do) so I am glad it fits nicely. Thanks.

      Delete
  12. Love this fabric! Suits you perfectly :)
    I have this pattern, and have been planning to make the dress, but now I'm thinking about the jacket too -- it is super cute on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do make the jacket!! It is easy and I love to see variations!

      Delete
  13. I was thinking "subtle science, what is she talking about?" and then BOOM. And I just found some of this fabric on Etsy so I am a happy girl now. Your jacket is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this!!!!

    Also your confessions list makes me think we would be great friends. Do you at least watch Game of Thrones because they make the show really fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen GOT. I know I am behind the curve (not the first time). I bet we would be great friends!

      Delete
  15. Such a cute jacket! And I totally relate to your confessions. I'm a reader, but it took me 8 months to get through Game of Thrones. I gave up after that and started listening to the audiobooks. And I feel your pain on hand stitching! I want to like it, but uggghhhh... Only so much time in a day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard people say hand sewing is therapeutic -- I'd rather have a glass of wine ;)!

      Delete
  16. Wow, so cool. It took me a moment to see the pattern, what a gorgeous fabric.
    Love your jacket, that little ruffle adds the perfect amount of cuteness to it.
    And I haven't even started with Game of Thrones. All five books are standing on the shelf, waiting for me to finally read them.
    Until then I spoil myself and watch the series.^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched GOT -- can you believe it!? More to add to my netflix queue.

      Delete
  17. Well yet again Annie you've pulled a corker! Geek... pretty darn chic I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh shucks. You make a girl blush.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie