Oh Anna! Where have you been all my life?

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Seriously, Anna is one cool cat.  She arrived in such a pretty package. She was a dream to sew.  My first Anna, bless her heart as the Southerner's would say, met a terrible fate with the dreaded serger knife (Mental note to myself: Must be more careful and pay attention!).  I was gonna call her the Grapefruit Sorbet Anna since I had the most dreamy pink fabric.  I am no miracle worker and with a gaping hole in a rather delicate part of the skirt, well, no amount of patching could not save her.  With a loud sigh, I stashed her away for fabric use later. 
Experiment:  By Hand London's Anna Dress, size 4

Materials:
3 yards floral cotton blend from stash
22" zipper in sand color
Gray Thread

Procedure:
As Hanibal from the A-Team would say "I love it when a plan comes together".  I *love* it when a garment comes together.  By Hand London's Anna dress has taken the sewing world by storm and it is easy to understand why and how.  Anna has a very forgiving bodice, easy for beginners to fit.  She has two different bodice variations -- I chose the v-neck merely because I realized that I tend toward sewing high-neck bodices. I needed something fresh and different in my closet.  
 Anna also has a paneled skirt in varying lengths, including the maxi.  If I had enough fabric I would have done the maxi with the thigh-high split.  Alas, I do not tend to stash fabric at 4+ yards in length therefore not enough fabric and opted for the shorter version. (I am plotting another Anna that will be a maxi with that split!)  I did have a mess-up with the panel skirt: I carefully marked all the panels since they look so damn similar.  I sewed them up and when I was finished, there was a panel hiding, or should I say camouflaged, next to my machine. I think it was a lone "I" piece that was not attached.  I shrugged it off, counted panels from the middle, and attached it to the side in need of another section.  It was not earth-shattering but annoying that I wasn't a tad more focused.
My husband loathes this fabric.  He thinks it looks drab.  I agree that it is not the most spectacular fabric and I can't even remember why I purchased it in the first place but after my grapefruit Anna disaster, this fabric came to the rescue.  I am grateful.  It is not soooooo hideous as he makes it out to be (hopefully, I don't have wobbly eyes).  I am hoping to make a a cardi to go with it.
The husband also dislikes the expose zipper in the back.  I did not have an invisible zipper the right length on hand and I improvised.  Zip was way easy to insert.   Regardless of what Mr. Chemist thinks, I like it!  And I will wear it.  Oi! Put a stopper in your beaker and take me out for a drink in my new Anna!!
I finished my MAGAM dress and now I have to devise a "Let there be cake" garment for TMS.  When anyone mentions cake, I salivate.  How can one focus when there is cake around?  This is going to be a tough challenge -- bhah! what am I saying?  This gives me the perfect excuse to bake a cake and stuff my face with it in preparation for a sewing challenge!

Happy Stitching!!

Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Oh Anna! Where have you been all my life?”

  1. Well I think you Anna is perfect on you, Annie!! I don't even think the fabric is drab, and agree that a cardigan would fit nicely with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the bodice fits you! the V-neck is really feminine.
    Great job, Annie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting necklines can add that much need umph to a dress! Thanks ;)

      Delete
  3. I so feel your pain with the serger hole, them machines hold no prisoners! but No way is this drab, and as for the exposed zipper it just adds even more detail- i love a good old exposure :))xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Errr, sergers -- still learning, must go slow and steady.

      Delete
  4. I agree no way is this drab it's a lovely fit and I like the colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend Anna. She is so flattering for many body types and easy to sew.

      Delete
  5. I think we all learn to beware the serger blades after a few mishaps :). This dress is beautiful - the neckline is so lovely. The colour is not drab, but very pretty - perhaps a little lighter than some of your recent dresses, but it works for this dress. And a great contrast with your nails and lipstick. I love the zip detail. Avoid husbands in bad colour moods....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it -- avoid husbands in bad color moods -- makes me smile. I am sure there will be more serger mishaps in my future. The part that is a bummer is seger mistakes are costly and sometimes irreversible.

      Delete
  6. The serger blade is a horrible experience. That horrible feeling in the stomach after the disbelief sets in. I've done it. I've done it with fabric bought for others while sewing for others. Ugh. You did exactly what you needed to...found a great substitute fabric.

    I LOVE the color! I also love the neckline, the length and the fit. I wanted to go on a pattern fast, but this is making me want to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress! I haven't tried the Anna dress yet, but it seems like a pattern that looks great in both prints and solids. I like the exposed zip as well!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie