Last of the Summer Wine... errr, I Mean, Dress

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Tomorrow marks the official end of the summer holiday.  Back to school, back to classes, back to the university rhythm.  It also means that we begin to count down to the next holiday off from school.  I am looking forward to the hustle and routine of the school year (as a mom who works it is a very fine balancing act).   Summer time is flexible and impulsive.  I take a little pleasure during school time  knowing that I have a designated sewing time (after my son goes to sleep and chores are complete).

To celebrate, I am desperately trying to finish up my summer sewing list while I really should be focusing on my Fall/Winter to-sew list.  I had several unblogged horrible summer sews:  The Bombshell Bathing Suit (tried it before I got my serger), pants (Pants Why U So Hard!?!), and a knit cardi (picked a horrible knit).  But one thing that I did complete was a summer dress.  Shocker! it is my favorite: Simplicity 2444. Sorry, dear readers, I know you are probably sick of it but I cannot get enough of it.  The more you sew it, the easier and quicker a dress goes from fabric to fabulous.

Experiment: Simplicity 2444, size 8

Materials: 
Navy Polka Dot cotton
22" zipper
White Mettler Thread

Ummmm, I love, Love, LOVE this dress. I promise I will sew something different and showcase it on the next blog post. But, I mean, come on, I can't resist polka dots.  I adore girly dresses.  It seemed like a perfect fit.  Understated elegance -- dressy or casual.

Let's skip the tedious construction details and instead touch on the key points:  I did switch out the pleated skirt again for a gathered skirt, added pockets, and since I am a lazy seamstress I finished with bias tape.  The zipper insert is sort of a double lapped with the zip down the middle. The one thing I did do differently -- I ditched the instructions.  Sounds dangerous, yea?  More and more I find that I only turn to the pattern instructions if there is some bizzaro piece or weird technique.  And I have a quirky way of constructing the garment.   It works.
My WIP is By Hand Lond's Anna dress.  It was almost complete until a serger accident, in which a giant gapping hole was left in the skirt (clumsy me -- must pay closer attention when serging at lightening speed!!! But in my defense, when Doctor Who is on and it becomes harder for me to multitask!), relegated it to the 'Return-to-Later' pile.  Another WIP is a Staple dress for my mother.  I am grooving on my handiness cuz the pattern is cut and fabric pre-washed.  

Here is to a good first week back to school!

Happy Sewing!
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Last of the Summer Wine... errr, I Mean, Dress”

  1. So pretty!!!! I love seeing all the dresses you have sewn, and never get bored of them because I have yet to complete a dress myself. Sorry to hear about your pants disappointment. I am working on my jeans right now, and fitting them has been a BEAST! Craftsy is having a summer sale where all their classes are up to 50% off, and there is one on pants fitting, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are brave with jeans! I wish you luck and cannot wait to see the final garment.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress, I am trying to finish a summer dress today.
    I also have had some horrible pant failures. I am thinking of taking the pants fitting class on craftsy mentioned above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your Style Arc pants (was it the Wallis?)! I think the pants fitting class would be a good idea -- I always think I understand what the problem is but then I make changes and it gets worse. Cycle of pants death!

      Delete
  3. I love it! pretty dress and what is important for me- it has pockets;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color, Annie! Sending good vibes for this school year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- good vibes are never forgotten!

      Delete
  5. Great way to finish your summer holidays - this is such a chic, classic little winner. Love it. As for Dr Who - yes, some things are supposed to be sacrosanct - as you have found out. Dr Who is one such thing !! I remember the first series being broadcast in the UK, I was about 7, and it was our Saturday afternoon treat - we were allowed to watch Dr Who - secretly I think it's because my parents liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember watching Dr Who as a child also. My son also likes Dr Who and I know it is because we like it and watch it together.

      Delete
  6. P.S. As for boring, each dress is a different fabric and the look changes totally, and we all want to see that:). Also, vis-s-vis pants - I'm still learning, and my first attempts were woeful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress! You can't go wrong with polka dots and the color is fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love it! Polka dots :) Sorry to hear about your serger oopsie, hope you manage to salvage it. I totally get that, always worried about getting too cocky with the serger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have a new Anna because of my cockiness!

      Delete
  9. That turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable- polka dots, TNT pattern , good fit you just cant fail- I so feel your pain on the serger mishap, unfortunately I think it's one of those things that we all have to experience at some point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a sucker for polka dots too - and navy - can't go wrong! Totally nothing wrong with sticking to the same style - it's just becoming your signature piece. And it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The jean-ius craftsy class is fantastic. And, out of curiosity, which DW episode were you watching? There are some I'd consider sewing with, and some where suspense-induced jumping would be disastrous...

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie