What Did the Little Acorn Say When He Grew Up?

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

GEOMETRY!
Ha! Nerdy jokes always make me smile.  I am probably one of the few who chuckle.  
I was invited to participate in Skirt Fixation's Fabric Swap Challenge.  I figured geometric fabric was probably the wisest choice for me. I sent some black and white geometric cotton fabric to Heather from Feather Flights.   I recieved 2 yards of this colorful fabric.

The fabric was lovely -- I suffered from scatter brain because of it.  I just couldn't figured out what to make with it.  I rummaged through my pattern stash.   All the while the geometric fabric sat on top my fabric pile, taunting me every time I passed it by.  It came down to me randomly drawing a pattern.  Pathetic, right?  It was worth it since I pulled out the Ava dress from Victory Patterns.   I am a sucker for dresses, what can I say?

Experiment:
Victory Pattern's Ava Dress
Size: 2

Materials:
2 yards Orange Geometric Cotton
2 yards Natural colored cotton
1 spool of Gutterman thread in Ecru
1 white zipper 9 inches

Procedure:
This dress needs more than 2 yards of fabric.  I found a natural colored cotton which paired perfectly.  I scooped up 2 yards and began to sketch my dress.  I had envisioned a dress with the geometric fabric for the bodice and sleeves.   I wanted to use it for panels in the skirt also.  The side panels fit best with the fabric I had left over from bodice and sleeves.  The front and back panel of the skirt was cut from the natural colored cotton.  My plan was to highlight the beautiful fabric.
After my first fitting, the plethora of plain cotton made me gasp!  It looked so clinical and boring.  I took all the scraps from the geometric fabric and began playing.  The challenge was linked to geometry, geometry linked to shapes, and I decided to add an element of geometricness (ha!!, made up a nerd word!) to my dress.  When I think geometry, I think triangles.  I found a suitably large scrap and turned the thing into an isosceles triangle affixed to the back panelTrying it on also revealed how large the dress was on me.  I am lazy and I didn't feel like ripping any seams (I had already done plenty of that!).  Instead, I added a continuous pleat down the center back.
Well, the front cotton panel needed to be dealt with.  The largest scrap piece was sort-of rhombus shaped.  It fit the length of the panel and added some depth.  Look at the twirl:
Makes me want to go dancing!  I did muslin the bodice and I added a 1/2 inch.  Next time (if there is another Ava in store for me), I need to lengthen a full inch.  Besides me fretting about adding more geometry nerdiness to this, I sewed Ava up while binging on Dr. Who.  Luckily, Netfilx is a good friend and always there when I need something to watch (unlike Cable who constantly shows junk).
Geesh, I look too serious in this picture.  Too much TARDIS or alien catastrophes!? Maybe the Doctor is getting to me. ;)  You can check out all the rest of the geometric projects over at Skirt Fixation!  

Happy Stitching --
Annie

P.S.  At the end of the week, you can go vote for the best geometric fabric project at Skirt Fixation (Pick me! Pick me!).


 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
16 Comments »

16 Responses to “What Did the Little Acorn Say When He Grew Up?”

  1. Great dress! I love the shapes in the circle skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Circle skirts are a pain to hem but fun to wear.

      Delete
  2. Pretty dress and perfect for dancing :) The style is so sweet and I love the fabric combinations. Good luck on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is my first time in a challenge so we will see how this goes...

      Delete
  3. I love the way you played with the shapes! It turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was definitely different in my head!

      Delete
  4. Oh, super pretty dress! That twirl is perfect for dancing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It would be good for dancing.

      Delete
  5. Looks lovely on you ... love the fabric combinations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lover the way you developed this dress conceptually - and the results are stunning :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great combination, love that rhombus-diamond-shape in the centre front!
    What a great idea to pair the fabric with a plain coloured one, it makes the dress so much more interesting and allows the fabric pattern to shine! You look beautiful in it!
    (and what a cool idea to add a pleat in the centre back. Ich once faced a similar problem but luckily I hadn't inserted the zipper in the side seam yet, so I cut the 10cm additional width away in the centre back (unfamiliar pattern companiy, no muslin, *sigh*), added the zipper and closed the side seam completely. But simply adding a pleat will become my go-for-when-lazy-solution :-D )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless I am sewing with expensive fabric, I tend to skip the muslin and fit on the fly.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Looks so beautiful, very flattering shape. I can easily see this in a pretty grey fabric too. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie