Ha! Nerdy jokes always make me smile. I am probably one of the few who chuckle.
I was invited to participate in Skirt Fixation's Fabric Swap Challenge. I figured geometric fabric was probably the wisest choice for me. I sent some black and white geometric cotton fabric to Heather from Feather Flights. I recieved 2 yards of this colorful fabric.
The fabric was lovely -- I suffered from scatter brain because of it. I just couldn't figured out what to make with it. I rummaged through my pattern stash. All the while the geometric fabric sat on top my fabric pile, taunting me every time I passed it by. It came down to me randomly drawing a pattern. Pathetic, right? It was worth it since I pulled out the Ava dress from Victory Patterns. I am a sucker for dresses, what can I say?
Victory Pattern's Ava Dress
2 yards Orange Geometric Cotton
2 yards Natural colored cotton
1 spool of Gutterman thread in Ecru
1 white zipper 9 inches
This dress needs more than 2 yards of fabric. I found a natural colored cotton which paired perfectly. I scooped up 2 yards and began to sketch my dress. I had envisioned a dress with the geometric fabric for the bodice and sleeves. I wanted to use it for panels in the skirt also. The side panels fit best with the fabric I had left over from bodice and sleeves. The front and back panel of the skirt was cut from the natural colored cotton. My plan was to highlight the beautiful fabric.
After my first fitting, the plethora of plain cotton made me gasp! It looked so clinical and boring. I took all the scraps from the geometric fabric and began playing. The challenge was linked to geometry, geometry linked to shapes, and I decided to add an element of geometricness (ha!!, made up a nerd word!) to my dress. When I think geometry, I think triangles. I found a suitably large scrap and turned the thing into an isosceles triangle affixed to the back panel. Trying it on also revealed how large the dress was on me. I am lazy and I didn't feel like ripping any seams (I had already done plenty of that!). Instead, I added a continuous pleat down the center back.
Well, the front cotton panel needed to be dealt with. The largest scrap piece was sort-of rhombus shaped. It fit the length of the panel and added some depth. Look at the twirl:
Makes me want to go dancing! I did muslin the bodice and I added a 1/2 inch. Next time (if there is another Ava in store for me), I need to lengthen a full inch. Besides me fretting about adding more geometry nerdiness to this, I sewed Ava up while binging on Dr. Who. Luckily, Netfilx is a good friend and always there when I need something to watch (unlike Cable who constantly shows junk).
Happy Stitching --
P.S. At the end of the week, you can go vote for the best geometric fabric project at Skirt Fixation (Pick me! Pick me!).
share this on »