Take Chances, Make Mistakes, Get Messy

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Oi!  It has been a while.  I've just gotten back from a long road trip sans sewing, blogging, and other new-fangled technical devices (well, I fib, I did have to stay in email contact with work...).  It was a nice holiday.  The kind where you eat and drink too much, stay up too late, and do not want to go back to reality.

For my MAGAM challenge in July, I decided to channel one of my favorite TV science personalities: Ms. Frizzle!  That is right folks, Magic School Bus and the zany Ms. Frizzle.  For those of you who are scratching your head, Magic School Bus is a children's cartoon all about science. 'Take Chances, Make Mistakes, Get Messy' -- that was the Frizz's famous tagline.

Thousands of Bolts carried a navy blue solar system print for a whopping $4.95 per yard.  (You should really check out their selection because it is enormous and prices are reasonable.) Magnetic! I had to have this fabric.  What better way as a science professor to start a new fall semester with bright-eyed freshman than with an homage to Ms. Frizzle.
Image via Scholastic
Experiment: Simplicity 2444, size 8


Materials:
3 yards Solar System cotton
White thread
Bias tape
22 inch zipper


Procedure:
Simplicity 2444 is one of my favorite dress patterns.  * Deep breath *  It might just be a TNT pattern for me (sound exciting, huh?). The bodice fits oh-so nicely and the options with the pattern can vary the dress, allowing for many combinations.  Speaking of, Simplicity 2444, is a Project Runway pattern and the new season has begun.  Ooooh, my DVR is going to fill up quickly!

Ms Frizzle.   She is simple gal therefore I went with the longer sleeves, plain bodice, and gathered skirt. 


I am channeling my best school teacher persona.  My brother was kind enough to take pictures of me and suggested we go to the local park near his house.  Soccer and baseball field -- very teacher-y (think recess, elementary school, Magic School Bus!).

I finished the neckline with bias tape.  I opted not to do a pleated skirt and, instead, swapped for a gathered skirt.  The gathered skirt looks softer and goes nicely with the high neckline and 3/4 sleeves.   Instead of an invisible zipper, I used Rosie Wednesday's method for inserting a lapped zipper and it looks amazing.

Pockets!  My absolute favorite feature of sewing my own clothes is adding pockets.  Many RTW dress or skirts do not have functional pockets and I need to carry my cell phone, keys, gum, a fiver to grab a coffee before or after lecture... 

I was a bit nervous about the print on the fabric.  I wanted a dress that was quirky and wearable.  I didn't want it to venture into the costume arena.  If you Google search Ms. Frizzle dresses, you will find an absolute plethora of costumes (some creative and others, well, then there are the others!).  I have to pat myself of the back because I think it turned out fabulous -- nerdy yet sweet, geeky and subtle! 

The same fabric company had a chemistry fabric with atoms all over it -- stay turned for my next nerdy make because I just couldn't possible pass up that fabric!

Happy Sewing!
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
26 Comments »

26 Responses to “Take Chances, Make Mistakes, Get Messy”

  1. I love it! I made a muslin of S2444 last night, and I like it a lot. Can't wait to see the atom fabric (I'm a PhD in chem ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think you will love 2444. I am a PhD chem too -- so yes, science fabric I love.

      Delete
  2. I love it!! That fabric is amazing, and it is perfect for that dress! Oh, and I am very familiar with Ms. Fizzle. The Magic School bus was one of my son's favorite shows to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son also adores the Magic School Bus! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. This is great! Simp 2444, Miss Frizzle, and space themed fabric, these are three of my favourite things ;) I also think of Miss Frizzle a lot when sewing up any novelty fabric-- but this one looks lovely on you, far far away from costume territory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been more and more drawn to quirky novelty fabrics.... maybe I have more Ms. Frizzle dresses that need to be made.

      Delete
  4. This is so beautiful dress, Annie! It fits you like a glove :) Love the fabric and the story behind the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is gorgeous! I'm so glad the lapped zipper tutorial worked out well for you! I love doing that method. It always comes out so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rock and make such beautiful things. Thank you so much for a wonderful tutorial!

      Delete
  6. Love this quirky dress it fits really well and looks really good on you. Well done for finding a potential TNT pattern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute dress! I love that your inspiration was Ms. Frizzle - when the image popped up on my blog reader, before I even read the post, I thought "Magic School Bus!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teach at university and I bet some of my students have not seen Magic School Bus...

      Delete
  8. This is a fabulous dress. I love the print and the fit is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally...I had very poor internet access this week, and couldn't easily comment on blogs - most frustrating :). I love this dress on you - it really suits you. Love your inspiration, even though we don't have Mrs Frizzle here - and it sort of goes with what you do as well. Fun pattern and then the demure necklace is a really fantastic juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about your internet. It feels overwhelming to me when I scroll through my blog reader and see so many posts! Hope you surviving your courses and getting some sewing in...

      Delete
  10. Soooo fun! Ms. Frizzle is one of our favorite children's book characters, and this dress is awesome! Thanks for sharing over at Skirtfixation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that fabric! Just the right amount of quirky! Great dress, the fit is really lovely :)
    Looking forward to the atoms ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just need a day with good light for pictures...soon! Thanks!

      Delete
  12. OMG how do you do it Annie....super fabric and super fit ... the whole thing just "works" and you look out of orbit in it.. defo ordering this pattern after my nightmare of FBA!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Better late than never: Such a great dress! Love the cut and the fabric is really cool. Looks like an ordinary patterned fabric, only when looking closer you realize this is planet-stars-endless-open-space-amazing-fabric, so not costum-y at all. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie