May I Have Some Tea with My Emery Please? Black with a Splash of Milk

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

I love me some tea.  Black with milk.  I used to love it with sugar... then I got pregnant and suddenly, sugar did not appeal to me.  Give me a good strong cup of Assam or Yorkshire Gold (or Yorkshire Red, I do not discriminate) and I am content.  My students find it odd that I drink black tea with milk since the common form of tea around here is sweet tea (a sugary concoction of tea and ice that tastes nothing like tea in my opinion).  Ok, ok, why all the talk of tea!?! I just  couldn't help but thinking that this dress would make a splendid afternoon tea dress.   Proper tea with scones and clotted cream and sandwiches and sweets!

Experiment:  Christine Haynes Emery Dress
                       Size: 0

Materials:
3 yards floral print cotton
1 yard of pink polyester charmeuse
Coats and Clark Ecru all-purpose thread
Berry colored invisible zip (22 inches)


Procedure:
I am not a vintage gal. I like the vintage-inspired look which is why I absolutely adore the stylish vintage-chic Emery dress pattern.  It only took me several months to make an Emery dress. Ummmmm, that's exaggerating.  I had the pattern traced off in April.  I cut the pattern in May.  I began to sew the pattern in June.  Finicky details like hand sewing slow me down...to a sloth's sewing pace.
 Let me count the ways in which I love this pattern:
  1. Pockets -- hell yeah!
  2. Gathered skirt (no pleats!)
  3. No facings (this can be good or bad because I am really terrible at lining)
  4. Perfect fitting bodice 
Construction of this dress was easy due in large part to the awesome directions.  I will admit that I suck at linings.  Bodice linings in-particular.  Every pattern seems to have slightly different directions.  I read the directions and scratch my head (I sympathize now with my students when they get frustrated when I derive an equation!).  I get the concept, however, the execution on my part is pathetic.  I would not pass a bodice-lining class.
I lined the bodice with pink poly charmeuse.  It is soft and slinky so it feels really nice on the inside.   I would grade my lining as a 'D' (it's 60% correct but 40% wrong).  It took me what felt like hours of handsewing and unpicking several times to get the lining and bodice to work which means not wrinkle or pull.  My husband keeps telling me that I just need to have someone show me just one time --  then I will figure out what I am doing wrong, you know that 'Ah-ha!' moment. He is right but there are no classes in the town I live in and I have exhausted YouTube so it will be trial by error!
Besides the lining, I enjoyed constructing this dress.  I call this a wearable muslin since the fabric was ridiculously cheap and since, I never made this pattern I didn't know quite what to expect.  I think in the future I need to lengthen the bodice and maybe ditch the lining.  I will wear this -- in fact, I have already worn it out and about.  I knew it was a winner because of how easy this dress was to wear and it doesn't hurt to have recieved several compliments.


On my work table right now is a Simplicity 2444/Emery hack (date dress!).   I also have cut and traced Simplicity 1873 and another Coco.   My son has been watching Dual Survival and somehow I have gotten sucked into the show while I sew (I move my sewing machine and serger to the dining room table to be with the family).  It is a wild show about surviving in crazy-ass places.  I digress but I have accomplished a fair bit while watching insane people survive for entertainment.

One last look at my Emery Tea dress!

Happy Sewing -- I will be sewing and watching the last of the World Cup action this weekend  --
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
25 Comments »

25 Responses to “May I Have Some Tea with My Emery Please? Black with a Splash of Milk”

  1. Well I think your dress is just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely! Wearable muslins that work out great are the best surprises ever! I hear what you are saying about lining bodices. I hang the dress on my dressmakers dummy and roughly pin the lining in place this way, to get an idea of where I should actually be pinning it so it doesn't wrinkle or pull when it is worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oohhh! As dumb as this sounds, I never thought to put in on my dress form. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. This is absolutely lovely! I adore your fabric choice. I really need to make another emery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Your Emerys are always gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. Very pretty dress I really like the print

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linings can be tricky - I find that when you cut things out, the lining and garment fabric always turn out a little different in size. I agree, with Debby - pinning before sewing is a great way to go.

    Whatever the angst, the result of the experiment is success - it looks lovely. Enjoy your tea and scones :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz! I am going to have to try this next go round.

      Delete
  6. A really beautiful dress, the fabric matches so very well.
    Never made a fully lined bodice, glad to know that's kind of a tricky thing. Well, if I ever was to try out, I don't mind facings^^
    And you talked of tea too much, now I really feel like having a good cup of darjeeling.
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should think that if I practice I will get better a linings. Darjeeling sounds delicious right now -- I hear my kettle! :) Thanks Ette.

      Delete
  7. I love this dress on you, Annie. It looks so pretty! I love the print and how you style it with the necklace. I agree with Debbie and I remember myself doing that when I work on the lining for the first time :) Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just never thought to do that!! So silly. Must try. Thank you!!

      Delete
  8. super cute dress! and lovely fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fitted top and flared skirt on that dress pattern. Your fabric is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is my favorite. I think I found a TNT skirt pattern.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful tea dress! I do love a nice dark tea and some scones. Yorkshire Gold is my fav too! Love the print- so pretty and the fit is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- Yorkshire makes the perfect cuppa of strong tea, perfect for waking up in the morning!

      Delete
  11. What a lovely dress! and yea a builders brew is the only tea to drink - none of this light fruity fluffy stuff, leave that cuteness to the dress fabric. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! Love it -- makes me smile. :)

      Delete
  12. Very pretty! and i love the way you styled your hair for this dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My bangs keep growing and I can't decide if I should chop them again....

      Delete
  13. I love this material and you choose the perfect style for the material.
    http://www.noveltyeye.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie