I Hope I Don't Embarass My Son in These

Saturday, June 14, 2014

My son (and husband) love sports.  I, on the otherhand, was not gifted the athletic gene.  However, now that my son plays baseball (and soccer) I really enjoy watching sports (or rather him!).  It's a mom thang.  This season of baseball I find myself in the role of dugout mom -- making sure the boys are ready to bat and ensuring everything in the dugout is a-okay.  The job is fun.  It is a hot, sweaty job especially when you have a late afternoon game.  Enter Made with Moxie's Prefontaine Shorts.

Experiments:
Prefontaine shorts
Size 0

Materials:
Pair #1:
1 yard of Dinosaur cotton
Orange homemade bias tape
1.25 inch elastic

Pair #2:
1 yard of grey cotton
Blue and pink bias tape
1.25 inch elastic

Procedure:

As my title suggest, I could go crazy with this pattern using up 1 yard of this and 1 yard of that.   I could go crazy and probably make shorts that would embarrass my son (Have you seen some of the Alexander Henry fabrics?) 

I had a 2 yards of random fabric in my stash that I had no idea what to do with but when this pattern came along the light-bulb went off.   Now I am no-shorts-wearing-gal.  Dress, skirts, and pants: check. But shorts!?! -- I didn't even own a pair until I made these. Now I have two and am plotting how to use scraps for make more.



This pattern is great!  It is chalk full of fabulous directions with pictures for those who love the pictorial guidance.  Then only thing that I could not find was an overall seam allowance. At specific places, seam allowance is defined, however, I went with the standard 5/8 inch and it worked fine.   I made my own bias tape (as I found a fancy never-used bias tape maker at an estate sale for next to nothing).

The pattern allows you to add a welt pocket to the back or a back patch pocket.  I opted to not add bum-pockets as the pockets in front are generous enough.  I also wanted to highlight the dinosaurs.  I mean, how many ladies are brave enough to cover their behinds with a patchwork of dinosaurs!!  The old-school look of the shorts are great and they are the perfect length for me.  You can shorten them if you like and Jill from Made with Moxie includes directions on how to do so.

Go get this pattern for summer!!

Happy Stitching --
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
14 Comments »

14 Responses to “I Hope I Don't Embarass My Son in These”

  1. It's a seriously cute fabric - maybe you son would even like some of his own :). I love those deep pockets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to make my son a pair pf Spiderman shorts! This is a great pattern to use up scraps of fabric.

      Delete
  2. These are great, Annie!! I love your shorts, especially the really cute fabric choice! The second pair favor running shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I ran! Well, at least I can look like I may take a run! :)

      Delete
  3. Love the shorts so cute and fun. What a great way to use up fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always looking for patterns to use up fabric. This is perfect.

      Delete
  4. Both of them are very cute! Love the dinosaur fabric and the piping is so sweet :) Nice pictures as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I am plotting more and thinking of getting the kids version of the pattern for my son.

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie