May the 4th be with You

Monday, May 5, 2014

I can't claim to be a Star Wars fanatic. In fact, I hadn't even seen the Star Wars movies until I met my husband.  As a child, I was far more into musicals with grand dresses and lovely dancing rather than sci-fi epics.  I ventured into Star Trek because my father enjoyed watching it.  Fast-forward to 10 years later:  I have a husband who was shocked I hadn't seen them and took it upon himself to school me in Star Wars history.  Now, I can claim that I have seen all of the Star Wars movies.  It also doesn't hurt that I have a little boy whose favorite character is Anakin.  We have watched all the movies (edited). Lego Stars Wars specials, and the Clone Wars cartoon (Hello!  Ahsoka Tano kicks some major butt!).

There is a fundraiser for the Arts Council in our area called Blend on the Bayou.  It is an outdoor event that features the Men who Cook (they provide all the food), the Men who Mix (the lovely guys pour a mean cocktail), and the Men who Brew (Home brewers make a keg a beer for the event).  My husband brews beer as a hobby and serves it at this event.  He made a tasty White IPA called Pale Rider that smelled of grapefruit and was full of hops.  About a month earlier, I realized that Blend was on May fourth and I knew I needed to make a Star Wars dress to wear.


Experiment:  McCall's M6741 (View D)
                      Size 8

Materials:
1 3/4 yard Star Wars cotton
1 1/2 yards white cotton
3 yards white lining
Gutterman white thread

Procedure:
This is one my TNT patterns (Embarrassingly, I had to look up what that meant. Sigh!).  I made it a previously and the simple design lends itself to many cool ideas.  I knew I had wanted a Star Wars themed dress but I wanted it to be subtle.  The Star Wars material has been in my stash  -- I meant to make my son a pair of PJs but the fabric had a different idea.
My original sketch for my husband included the Star Wars theme in the middle but he thought it would look cooler on the sides of the princess seams.  I think that advice was spot on.


I made the dress and had intended not to line it but after trying it on and the white revealing a little too much, I dashed out for white lining.  I found this great tutorial on YouTube in which the process of lining a sleeves dress is shown.  That was key because those McCall directions were sketchy.
  
It did end up slightly big in the bust and hip area (3" of ease in the bust area -- thanks so much McCall - I would need a super-duper wonder bra to jump 3 freakin' inches). Somehow, I do not recall this from the last time I made it.  It could be I did a renegade dress hack in which I adjusted on the fly last time.  Well, when I make another dress from this pattern, I must remember to adjust.
The photo above was meant to show the Star Wars print but I think it captures the silliness and overall fun time we had! Blend on the Bayou is always wonderful and money goes to a worthy cause.  I mentioned I am an adventurous eater so I had rabbit risotto, fried alligator, and crawfish potstickers -- it was delicious.    Good friends and wonderful art -- a fab party on the bayou.


May the 4th be with you (a day later!) --
Annie

PS  For the super nerds (like me!):  May the Mass*Acceleration be with you!

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
28 Comments »

28 Responses to “May the 4th be with You”

  1. You are SO stinking CUTE in this dress, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos looks like a fab event. You could not fail to have a good time in such a fun dress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such good food -- lots of fun with a great dress.

      Delete
  3. Yes, side panels work best. I've never been much of a Star Wars fan - I think I was too British, so I watched Blake's 7, a BBC series with a fantastic female protagonist whose name was Servalan. She had a great short hairstyle which I copied at the time! She gave Blake (the male protaganist) quite a lot to deal with, and usually won. I loved it.

    McCalls often have a lot of ease, so check this each time. So do many of the commercial companies. Also, if you cut slightly smaller or slightly larger with princess seams, that will really affect the fit - you can add or subtract an inch easily that way, by mistake. Or on purpose, if that's what you want.

    Glad you had a great day - you must have needed it after all the grading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't remember this much ease but then I expect it from the big 4.

      I will have to check out Blake's 7 -- I am a sucker for BBC shows.

      Delete
  4. This is such a cool dress, I love the fabric! And how great I have found another Star Wars enthusiast in the sewing blogosphere. I am still planning on a girly blouse variant of the classic Darth Vader armor.
    Hope your dress will get worn a lot this summer, love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be worn a lot! And I have plans for more...

      Delete
  5. How neat and different! I agree that the side panels idea was a good one. I still have not seen any of the Star Wars' movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is only because of my husband that I saw them...

      Delete
  6. I ADORE your dress! I am a huge Star Wars fan too!! I don't have any Star Wars day-wear but tons of pjs. Will have to rethink.....:)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think of all the Star Wars outfits that are possible -- you should go for it!

      Delete
  7. How fun! Having taught middle school math and my older two kids being in the International Baccalaureate in high school, we celebrate PI Day on March 14. It's fun being a math geek.
    My hubby also brews beer, but not often. We don't drink enough and it often starts exploding before we get to it. We also make wine every few years.
    We aren't Star Wars fans, but when we brought home our cocker spaniel nine and a half years ago, we were on a break from a Star Wars marathon. She ended up with the name Padme. Our vet thought it was Thai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now want to make a plethora of nerdy dresses -- it suits my personality just fine. We celebrate Pi day and the chemistry nerd holiday: Mole Day ( Oct 23).

      Padme the spaniel -- how precious!

      Delete
  8. Ohh.. how could I have missed it? Your dress is stunning!! I agree with Sarah Liz, side panels work best :) Great photos as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I was very skeptical but it turned out so fabulous.

      Delete
  9. This dress is so cute -- I love the shape of it on you, and the side panels are so great. How fun to create a special dress for Star Wars day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I highly recommend this pattern.

      Delete
  10. This dress is awesome! I agree with the above comments too - the shape is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just LOVE this dress! Love the shape and how Leia like the collar is! My husband and son are Star Wars obsessed so I could use a dress like this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like my husband and son! The collar is one of my favorite features -- I also like that from a distance it looks like a blue and white dress.

      Delete
  12. how fun! I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! The shape of the dress is awesome! I want it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make one -- it is easy-peasy. :)

      Delete
  14. This is stunning! I love it! The side panels are perfect for that fabric - your husband has good taste! Thanks for linking up to CraftingCon!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie