Its a Beautiful Day for a Bike Ride

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Seriously, I really am always the last to figure out a trend.  My students usually scratch their heads and echo, "You've never heard of that!?!"  I bought the Pattern Parcel #1 the first couple of days it was offered.  See, I am a little better when it comes to sewing . . .which is why I finally get the Lady Skater dress enthusiasm.  I'm just a wee bit late to the party.  Better late than never, right?


Experiment: Lady Skater Dress
Size 1

Materials:
Remnant of pink knit
Clear Elastic 
Gutterman White Thread

Procedure:
I followed the crib sheet directions but imagine that if you need visuals, then Kitchsy Coo has you covered.  I cut the pattern the evening before.  I made a muslin of the bodice as suggested and got worried since the it was so small.  For the muslin, I used some left over knit from another project.  Luckily, my fabric had a good amount of stretch.  I finished this project rather quickly the next evening.  I even set the sleeve in the flat.  Huzzah!

The knit I used was found in a remnant bin -- I don't even know what to call it.  It is stretchy like jersey but has the feel of a light sweater knit.  I had to have it for two reasons: 1. pink!  my favorite and 2. the price! a gob of fabric for $5.   The fabric is a little sheer and I did not notice that until I tried on the dress -- good thing I have slips handy (I think I need to make more in a variety of colors -- any good slip patterns you know of?).

I can see why people love this pattern.  Knit! It is easy to sew and wear through the seasons with the variations in sleeve length.  It can be casual or dressy.  I need casual dresses for the summer in the south.  It is hot, humid, and sweaty during those months!  My husband thinks it is a tad on the too pink side and suggests a belt for contrast but a girl can never wear enough of her favorite color!


If you get the right fabric, you could make a dress in which you feel like you were wearing your PJs all day.  This is another pattern that I could go nuts with if I had the right fabric.  The evening I finished this dress, I trolled Girl Charlee and Wanderlust for some kooky knits. I found lightening bolt fabric, selfishly for me!  I promised to make a little girl version of this dress for my niece -- in a nice cheetah print.  Looking into my crystal ball, I see that in the near future there will be a knit order.
I wore this dress all day.  I picked up my son from school, grabbed the dog (Yes, I have a chihuahua.  Milo is his name and he is the boss.  Before we lived in a small town, we lived in a cramped apartment in the middle of a busy city), and we all went on a lazy bike ride.    The kind of bike ride where the breeze is nice and you stop to chat with the people you know along the way.  

The month of May ushers in the end of the semester and the start of the summer holidays.  I will get a tiny break before the summer term starts and I am going to immerse myself in patterns, fabric, and notions. This weekend I promised my son a new pair of shorts with Star Wars pockets.   It is a good excuse to whip up a geeky outfit for myself at the same time!

Happy Stitching --
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
20 Comments »

20 Responses to “Its a Beautiful Day for a Bike Ride ”

  1. great score on the fabric, it made a really fun dress ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting a fab deal of fabric makes my day!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, that is so cute. in every possible way- don't know about been last to the party, I'm still parking the car!! will be investigating a purchase- happy sewing in tour break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is a great dress that flatters a lot of body types. Google it and scroll through the images of great dresses bloggers have made.

      Delete
  3. Very pretty dress and fabric! You look great on hot pink color. Nice photos and Milo is so cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milo is too cute and such a sweetie. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love the Lady Skater on you!! And that pink bike is the business!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely dress
    , great fit and so girly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great dress on you!! I like the bike too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't believe the hype of the Lady Skater until I made it! Love it!

      Delete
  7. Milo is too cute! There is nothing wrong with a little, or a lot, of color. You look great in your Lady Skater. I have the Lady Skated as my next pattern to tape together. I hope to have it ready to wear in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to see your Lady Skater!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a gorgeous dress! Fabulous colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous Skater Dress! I just made one today and was totally inspired seeing your make! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so comfy. I also like how quickly it comes together.

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie