I Found a Bird's Nest Outside my Kitchen Window - What Did You Find?

Sunday, May 11, 2014

I am so glad the sun is shining. The gray, cold skies have moved on (So sorry my Southern Hemisphere friends!).  We have a little tree outside our kitchen window and a couple of days ago while doing the dishes I noticed a bird's nest.  There is a robin and her three little chicks in our tree.  The chicks are so tiny and make the sweetest little sound.  It is fascinating to watch the robin feed the little chicks and see how protective she is of the nest.  We have become quite protective too, peering out the window to make sure all is alright.

Experiment:  
Simplicity 2444
View A
Size 8


Materials:
3 yards pink and orange batik
1/2 yard of homemade double fold bias tape
Gutterman thread

Procedure:
I have been in a sewing funk these last couple of weeks.  The funk crept in after I made this dress.  I think it came because I have been going a mile a minute and I really need to slow down.  The past couple of weeks I have cut several patterns but have not had the desire or energy to sit at the sewing machine.  Instead, I have had my nose in the book Outlander.  I started it a while ago but could not get passed the first 100 pages.  Well, I got past and suddenly, I needed to know what was going to happen. 

After devouring the book and promptly getting the second one from the library, I gave some of my hobby time to the sewing machine.   Man, oh, man do I love this pattern.  Double darts at the waist - genius!  I am picky when it comes to darts because I have suffered from a pointy boob bodice when I have carelessly sewn a dart (Thank goodness this hasn't happened in a while!).  Pleats and pockets -- huzzah!  Girly to the max and totally work functional.
I lengthened the bodice by a half inch but followed all the directions.  I do not like the center seam in the skirt and when I make it again, I will cut on a fold.  I really want to try the caplet and the bow.  I can now see why people give this pattern such rave reviews.  This is my first Project Runway pattern (Speaking of Project Runway, it is back this summer. I cannot wait.  Although I miss Michael Kors with his fabulous critiques and spot-on comments!) and I wonder if all the patterns are as kick-a$$ as this one.  I have a couple of more in my stash which means they will either live up to the awesomeness of 2444, fail miserably, or in the best case scenario, end up producing a so-so garment.
I wore this dress to Mother's Day brunch.  My son wore another version of Made by Rae's Parsley pants that I made him (He has asked for a pair of shorts using the same pattern with Star Wars pockets).  The restaurant is right on the river near this fabulous train bridge.  It was such a relaxing day filled with love, patterns, and fabric (gotta love my boys)!
I plan on sewing this week.  Now that I have the book done, I think my brain needs to exercise some creativity.  I plan to make a knit maxi skirt with a folded waist band -- I was inspired by a lovely lady in a chevron maxi knit skirt who sat in front of us during church this morning.  I also want to make Disparate Discipline's Dandelion dress in the following fabric:


I am a sucker for dresses and this is great for Indie Pattern month.   I should also let you know that I am super self-conscious  and as such will not post weekly round-ups of my Me-Made-May outfits.  Instead, I will do a collage at the end of the month showcasing my spectacular me-mades!

Anywho, I have rambled enough.  Hope your week is golden!

Happy Sewing,
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
24 Comments »

24 Responses to “I Found a Bird's Nest Outside my Kitchen Window - What Did You Find?”

  1. Gorgeous dress and photos.....love the bridge! I also really enjoyed the Outlander series. I think I got through book 3 before I needed a break but I have been thinking about picking it back up recently. Maybe even a book on tape so I can listen while I sew. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to get into this book but I ended up enjoying it. An Audible book is a great idea when sewing -- I wonder how long the second book is..!?!

      Delete
  2. We read outlander for bookclub over xmas (I renamed it 50 shades of tartan). Is the 2nd one as good? Did you know there is a TV series being made of it at the moment? Anyway I love your S2444 (and project runway) - I have this pattern and must make it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 Shades of Tartan! That is mint. I haven't started the second one yet -- trying to get some sewing done. A TV series? I will check it out -- thanks!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dress, fit, colour and style look lovely on you. What an interesting bridge, makes a great backdrop to your pics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- I have been wanting to take pictures at this bridge for a while.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty dress and fabric! I love batik :) Both of you look great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be considered a batik junkie -- I have so much batik! Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. I love the dress. You seem to find great patterns that look great on you. The fabric makes me think of sherbert. I get sewing inspiration at church too. There was a lady in front of me a few weeks ago with the best jacket. I know that she must have sewn it herself. It was seen so well and fitted perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sherbert! It was fate when this lady stood up and I spied her knit skirt -- I am going to modify the pattern from Meg's Knit Craftsy class. I am still nervous to take on a jacket -- so much structure.

      Delete
  6. That is such a pretty dress! Excellent combination of pattern and fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the color that you chose for this pattern. Perfect fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love this pattern.

      Delete
  8. This is beautiful! I just loooove the fabric--the colour combination is great. Where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, it was in a clearance bin at Walmart. It almost never happens that I find decent fabric there but this was luck!

      Delete
  9. So pretty! And I've been wanting to take pictures with a backdrop like this - this gives me more motivation! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Go do it -- I find my pictures at home are rather boring therefore I have been scoping out interesting places to showcase my garments!

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous dress! This is my favorite pattern and I love your fabric choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree -- it is a fabulous pattern! Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Turned out beautiful ! I love that pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Pattern + Lovely Fabric = Amazing Dress

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie