The Afternoon Blouse for Easter Morning

Sunday, April 20, 2014

I cannot resist.  Beautiful blossoms are everywhere!

I have been secretly following Me-Made-May for the past couple of years.  This year I am gonna make the leap and participate.  I have been knee-deep in marking papers, creating exams, and other professorial duties that I am sewing at the speed of a snail.  Well, the end of the semester is nigh and I want to sew.  Then, model my makes (IRL) for MMM '14 -- Pinterest board and all!

I, Annie at The Enantiomer Project, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '14. I endeavour to wear at least 3 of my garments each week for the duration of May 2014

Experiment:  The Afternoon Blouse
                        Size: 8

Materials: 1-1.5 yards of polka dot cotton
Tan thread
Fusible interfacing
Large red button


Procedure:
I love Jennifer Lauren's Afternoon Blouse.  Assembling the pdf pattern, cutting the fabric, and sewing it up was such fun.


I know I have said it before but for my sanity, I need to reiterate: I have been soooooooooo busy.  I have been struggling to find 30-minutes to sew a day.  I needed a quick pick me up and decided yesterday that the Afternoon Blouse was perfect.  Where was this project when I began sewing: no darts, no setting sleeves!?!  The trickiest part is attaching the facing but if you go slow, its easy-peasy.  Jennifer's directions are great and would be most helpful to a new seamstress.  

It did come together in less than an afternoon.  A little bit of hand stitching and, voila!, I had an Easter blouse.
Forgive the wrinkles, I have been wearing it all morning.  It really is a versatile staple.  You can dress this blouse up or wear it with a  pair of skinny jeans.  My Easter ensemble consisted of a pair of striped RTW pants from ages ago with the my new polka dot blouse.  The red button really brings it together. And I get to wear red shoes!
I liked this blouse so much that I raided my stash and yesterday evening cut out another version.  This is really unheard of for me.  Usually, I like to digest a pattern and think about what I can do to improve or wait to sew another version when creativity slaps me in the face.  Do I hear TMS double challenge calling?
Besides being an easy sew, another feature I love is the button! For my next blouse, I want to find a unique button.  Something science-y or maybe a teacup or teapot button.  If anybody knows where to get unique buttons, please let me know!  After an early morning Easter egg hunt, church, and breakfast, my little family and I walked around our neighborhood to take pictures. 
I highly recommend the Afternoon Blouse.  Its my latest pattern crush. Who doesn't like a  quick beautiful vintage-inspired sew?  Hope the Easter Bunny was good to you.  I will leave you with a priceless picture of my son's first encounter with the Easter Bunny (He has since refused to meet Santa, the Easter Bunny, or any mascot!).  I shared this make here.

Happy Holidays!
Annie


 

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
22 Comments »

22 Responses to “The Afternoon Blouse for Easter Morning”

  1. Well done to committing to Me Made May. It's something I would like to do but at present there,s too much going on to give myself that extra pressure. Cute top I love clothes that are so versatile. Lovely family pic. Your sonencounter with the Easter bunny reminded me of a similar reaction my eldest daughter had to Santa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to put pressure on yourself! Oohh - - I can only imagine the Santa encounter after my son's reaction to the Easter Bunny.

      Delete
  2. What a cute blouse AND a cute family!!! I look forward to seeing your next version. Also...the red shoes! I was waiting for you to show them to us! : ) The funny thing is, I am not even a shoe person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Next blouse, I'll feature shoes ;) !

      Delete
  3. This simple yet elegant project! I love to make that kind of garments! Looks lovely on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -- this is really a wonderful pattern!

      Delete
  4. Love your version of this blouse. I ended up making two myself but already have another planned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come together so quickly -- maybe there will be a third! Can't wait to see yours.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely family you have - so nice to see them :). This blouse is super and is going down on my must do list:)

    I hope you soon get through the semester and into some serious sewing time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should give this pattern a whirl -- it is so flattering.

      Delete
  6. Lovely blouse! It suits you nicely, the fabric is perfect for it and the red button is so adorable :) I am joining MMM'14 too, so can not wait to see your outfits. Love your family photo - and your son is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana! Are you pledging to do outfits everyday? Cannot wait to see your outfits in action!

      Delete
  7. The more i am seeing of this blouse the more tempting its becoming and you have certainly added to that - lovely blouse- Im sure i've seen a teapot button recently but cant think where!! will scratch head some more... the pcs of your son is priceless, what a cutie :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you remember the teapot button, please please let me know!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful blouse! It looks lovely on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the shape and the teeny dots on the this blouse. What a pretty make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how the teeny dots look like a solid from afar but when you get close you see them!

      Delete
  10. Thanks for sewing along with Challenge Create: Adult Edition! When I was working on a quiet book project I found some pretty cool buttons over on Etsy at https://www.etsy.com/shop/ExpressoItaliano and https://www.etsy.com/shop/forbeadintreasures

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, lovely blouse! I've been eyeing this blouse pattern - it looks like it would make a great addition to any wardrobe. I'm also participating in MMM and I'm very excited as it will be my first year. Looking forward to seeing your outfits! Thanks for stopping by my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Annie, this is another beautiful make! I've found some wonderful buttons on Etsy in more than one shop. I adore your family shot. My kids have never been fans of holiday mascots. I remember coming around the story with our third baby when Clifford the Big Red Dog came up to greet him. My son started SCREAMING so loud that security ran over. Disneyland wasn't much better when he was 7.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie