Experiment: Simplicity Lisette Dress, pattern 1419
View A with the sleeves
3 yards Vintage Cotton (feels like some kind of blend)
Gutterman cotton thread in an off-white color
Yellow seersucker scraps for pockets
I picked up this pattern on a whim during a $1 pattern sale. The dress has pockets and a vintage vibe with a full skirt. Paired with my snakeskin (faux snakeskin) shoes, it does make a dynamite outfit.
I did make a muslin of the bodice. This seems to be the hardest fit for me to get right. (I think the sewing universe is nudging me to learn to make a bodice sloper...). Well, the muslin fit ok. Not perfect, mind you, but acceptable. My son was on spring break last week visiting his grandparents so I wanted to get as much sewing as I could squeeze in. Hence my excitement after the bodice muslin. I listened to Veronica Roth's Divergent on my Ipod and sewed to my heart's content. Cut the vintage fabric, sewed, got into Tris and Four's adventure, finished dress, smiled at the accomplishment, tried on dress and -- bhwahhh - hah-hah -- instant let-down.
I added a couple of side darts (illegal sewing or common fixes for those that screw up!) after I had sewn the zipper and hemmed the darn thing. I did not bother to try on the garment while sewing -- curses at being focused. The darts sort of helped -- they took in excess material (Shocking, I know). I also added a polyester horsehair braid at the hem to give it a little structure.
I am going to call it a wearable muslin (See the look above -- that is my 'hmmmm, gotta get over it' look). A muslin needs work and this pattern clearly does (Again, I hear the Sewing God's telling me to make a sloper but I keep putting them off because of all the other sewing projects that I want to start.). I do like the dress. The shape. The pockets. It will be a pain in the rear because the fabric wrinkles at the slightest movement (Ughhhh, ironing) -- but I can't wait to wear it.
My son loves, loves, the new Nikon D80 and has offered to take pictures. I have a seven year old photog. I think he did a good job (and so did my hubby!). Spring is finally here. I finished my Dolly Clackett dress and Divergent. I've gotten sucked into the YA saga and, hopefully, I will found out what happens (Insurgent) to Tris and Four during the next sewing project, my Summer Concert Tee.
I shared this on Make it and Love it! Hope you enjoy.
share this on »