My, Oh, My Dolly Clackett Maybe Muslin

Saturday, April 5, 2014


Tipi.  Horses.  Yep, this vintage fabric I scored from an estate sale a while back had it all.  This fabric kept murmuring, "Make me a dress! A dress!"  I imagined this vintage cotton had a faint southern accent and the kind of sugary sweet hospitality that causes you to spontaneously say 'yes' to whatever is being asked.  I could not deny that request and thus, my Dolly Clackett dress was born.
Roisin over at Dolly Clackett is so creative when it comes to sewing dresses and naming her blog posts but it is her shoes that steal my heart.  

Experiment:  Simplicity Lisette Dress, pattern 1419
Size: 8
View A with the sleeves


Materials:
3 yards Vintage Cotton (feels like some kind of blend)
Gutterman cotton thread in an off-white color
Fusible interfacing
Yellow seersucker scraps for pockets 

I picked up this pattern on a whim during a $1 pattern sale.  The dress has pockets and a vintage vibe with a full skirt.  Paired with my snakeskin (faux snakeskin) shoes, it does make a dynamite outfit.

I did make a muslin of the bodice.  This seems to be the hardest fit for me to get right.  (I think the sewing universe is nudging me to learn to make a bodice sloper...).   Well, the muslin fit ok. Not perfect, mind you, but acceptable.  My son was on spring break last week visiting his grandparents so I wanted to get as much sewing as I could squeeze in.  Hence my excitement after the bodice muslin.  I listened to Veronica Roth's Divergent on my Ipod and sewed to my heart's content.  Cut the vintage fabric, sewed, got into Tris and Four's adventure, finished dress, smiled at the accomplishment, tried on dress and -- bhwahhh - hah-hah -- instant let-down.
I  added a couple of side darts (illegal sewing or common fixes for those that screw up!) after I had sewn the zipper and hemmed the darn thing. I did not bother to try on the garment while sewing -- curses at being focused.  The darts sort of helped -- they took in excess material (Shocking, I know).  I also added a polyester horsehair braid at the hem to give it a little structure. 
I am going to call it a wearable muslin  (See the look above -- that is my 'hmmmm, gotta get over it' look).  A muslin needs work and this pattern clearly does (Again, I hear the Sewing God's telling me to make a sloper but I keep putting them off because of all the other sewing projects that I want to start.).  I do like the dress.  The shape. The pockets.  It will be a pain in the rear because the fabric wrinkles at the slightest movement (Ughhhh, ironing) -- but I can't wait to wear it.
My son loves, loves, the new Nikon D80 and has offered to take pictures. I have a seven year old photog.  I think he did a good job (and so did my hubby!).  Spring is finally here.  I finished my Dolly Clackett dress and Divergent.  I've gotten sucked into the YA saga and, hopefully, I will found out what happens (Insurgent) to Tris and Four during the next sewing project, my Summer Concert Tee.



I shared this on Make it and Love it!  Hope you enjoy.
 
Happy Sewing!
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
28 Comments »

28 Responses to “My, Oh, My Dolly Clackett Maybe Muslin”

  1. Beautiful dress Annie. The fabric is so pretty. Love all the details of the dress, the fits, the front slit, the sleeves and the pockets are perfect. Please, don't call it a wearable muslin - this is a real dress :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I plan to wear this, no question about it!

      Delete
  2. It turned out beautiful. I love the neckline.You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drawn to this pattern because of the neckline and the collar (which I opted not to do on this version).

      Delete
  3. Luckily with a patterned fabric the wrinkles around the rear won't show too much. And so what that you had to add darts after and do a on the run fix job - part of the secret of sewing is knowing how to fix stuff ups! The worse part of sewing is the on/off/on/off for fitting. The dress looks gorgeous though, and that's the main thing. Especially with the blossoms around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fitting can be so frustrating which is probably why I sometimes leave it till the end.

      Delete
  4. I have no idea what you are talking about--this dress is amazing!! Yes, the bodice is very hard to fit (I am learning that many times over with my own sloper) but you did a fine job! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, Annie, if there is a fitting issue, it isn't showing in the photos. Perhaps you have a great photographer. One was to deal with the wrinkling is to use spray starch. They'll need to iron, but it helps keep the wrinkles away that form while wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is going to need the heavy duty starch!

      Delete
  6. From the pictures it looks really nice on you, I hope that you do get some wear from this! Perhaps with a little cardigan you will notice the wrinkles less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A cardigan will give it that look like Bernadette from Big Bang!

      Delete
    2. I like Bernadette's look by the way....

      Delete
  7. I think you made a mistake with this, "My, Oh, My Dolly Clackett Maybe Muslin." It definitely NOT is muslin. It is just darling on you. And why is "I added a couple of side darts (illegal sewing or common fixes for those that screw up!) illegal. It doesn't look like a screw up at all and seems to work for you! and looks great! I love the dress, how it fits, the fabric, the style, etc. I only wish my estate sale score had included some fabric as cute as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just like to think of myself as sew-adventurous!

      Delete
  8. Too cute for a muslin, I love a fun fashion fabric and the horses are adorable. And POCKETS! Love the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dress looks lovely really cute. From the pictures I had no idea you had problems with it and after all it's the end result that counts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good outlook -- the end product is what counts! Thanks!

      Delete
  10. I think the dress is darling. I have had similar experiences with dresses lately. I am learning to try it on several times before the finishing touches. I think we are probably too hard on ourselves with our Me Made items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about being too hard and yes I have learned the lesson of trying on!

      Delete
  11. Love the fabric, it's so vintage...perfect for linking up with us at Challenge Create, week 3! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, well done on a gorgeous dress! I'm about to cut the same pattern and wondered if you lined your dress? ALso, i much prefer your neckline to the one in the pattern - did you alter it or just omit the button and loop?
    Thanks in anticipation,
    nanette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I choose not to line it. It gets so hot where I live that most of the time breathable-dresses are what I grab.

      I meant to put in the loop but when I was sewing I couldn't find the little pattern piece or the fabric piece I had cut out. I forged on and omitted it!

      Cannot wait to see yours...

      Delete
  13. It looks great and I don't see any fitting issues! If you don't tell people about the afterthought darts, no one will know. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your dress! Have you thought about making another with bodice mods?
    I've chosen some lovely fabric for my version and I KNOW I should muslin but I just don't want to! Ugh, the inner conflict!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie