It's Gettin' Hot in Here

Monday, April 14, 2014

Summer.  Fun.  What else could describe Dixie DIY's Summer Concert Tee?  

Experiment: Summer Concert Tee
                       Size: XS

Materials:  2 Yards of remnant blue-marbled knit
                  Coats and Clark light blue thread


Procedure:

Shopping for knit fabric at my local shop can be frustrating.  It is hit or miss as to whether or not they will have what you want.  Anywho, when you do find a knit you like, it is magnetic and there is ooo-ing and plotting.  I always look at the remnant table -- those forgotten fabrics folded up always cheer up when I stop by.  This blue marbled knit was being a tad shy, hiding underneath some home decor fabrics.  But when I found him, I knew.  Not enough for my Lady Skater dress but the perfect amount for the Summer Concert Tee. 


The tee is a rather easy sew.  Easier with my walking foot and twin needle since I do not own a serger.  I did add 2 inches to the front of the shirt - being a thirty-ish mom, I do not feel comfortable in a crop top.  I also folded the sleeve-band to shorten it since the drafted version would go past my elbows.  The trickiest part of this project was the neckband.  It was not tricky because of lack of skill but rather, a lack of stretch in the fabric.  I started with the drafted neckband and ended up picking it apart.  I then added 2.5 inches to the neckband and that seemed to do the trick. 

 If I sew this again, I will lengthen the front piece by a couple of more inches and I will also reduce the back by at least two inches.  You can see in the collage above that the back piece hands well below my flat bum.  Despite the length issues, it is comfortable.  I have been traveling this week and I finally had time to finish this on Sunday morning.  I wore it all day -- it stood the test of errands while making me look much cooler than I am.  

Speaking of errands, I scored a whopping 10 yards of various fabrics today at a much reduced price and my son bought a orange fish and named him Finn.
Yea, it's already hot here!  This is the perfect tee to pair with jeans or skinny pants, a cute pair of shoes, and off you go! Thank you Pattern Parcel #1.  If you have little girls, PP#2 is perfect for you but only for a few more days!

To fabulous sewing this coming week!
Annie

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
16 Comments »

16 Responses to “It's Gettin' Hot in Here”

  1. What a FUN top!!!! It's pretty cute on you!

    Love your fabric finds too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I cannot resist fabric.

      Delete
  2. I really like your version with a little length in the front. Pretty cool look !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I have the same issue with wearing cropped tops while in your 30s (after babies). I didn't think of that much when I purchased some cropped tops from Simplicity recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never wore crop tops before I had a child! Can't wait to see your crop top -- :)

      Delete
  4. That's a great staple -and you'd have no probs in flashing an odd bit of flesh with your figure- being a mom in her mmmm ( 40s...shhh) i'd need mine to knee caps! lol x other stash looks interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would look fab is something like this -- it is always how your style a piece!

      Delete
  5. I'm so glad to see you make this. It looks absolutely wonderful on you. I am now convinced that the top would be too short for me in my mid-40s. Maybe for my twenty something daughter since I have the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you daughter would like this -- just note that the back is long and the front is quite short.

      Delete
  6. I love these slouchy t shirts in the warmer weather - but a great idea to lengthen the front - not only to hide the mid section, but also to slim the line down - otherwise it would be a horizontal rectangle, not a good look even on someone slim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without curves, one needs to create that illusion with clothes!

      Delete
  7. Your new top is really cute and great for warmer weather. Love your fabric finds too, they all so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I nominated you for the Sunshine and Shine On award. See my blog for more info.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie