Cool…lots in Cincinnati!

Sunday, March 23, 2014


TMS March challenge was Miss Bossy Patterns.  Out of 72 votes, the winner for my March make was the Tania culottes.  Close behind was Gertie's Shirtwaist dress.  The Tania culottes have been in my stash for a while (since the pattern was released).  This was the  excuse I needed to make them.  Or should I say that I was bullied into it!  Either way, it worked out perfectly.

Tania.  She is a clever genius.  Well, let me rephrase, Megan Nielsen is a genius with her Tania pattern.  I am not the short-wearing kind of gal.  Shorts make my already stick-like legs look even more twiggy.  During the hot, humid summers, I can be found living in easy breezy dresses.  But after this pattern, I have had a revelation! This summer I will be sporting my Tanias.

Experiment: Tania Culottes
                       Size: XS
Materials: 
Yellow seersucker
Gutterman white thread


Procedure:
Ok, ok -- I know I had previously showed another fabric that I was to use.  And I did.  I had these started within the first week of the month. But when I went to insert the zip when, wowza! they were incredibly small -- child-size small.  Oh, my beautiful fabric!  I looked for the cause, realizing slowly that part of the pattern was printed to the correct scale and part of it was not. Pooh printer.  Pooh PDF patterns.


At least I had a practice round.  Back to the lab and to my stash.  Tucked away was a nice yellow seersucker in just the right amount.  I had previously made my son a pair of trousers and a bow-tie with this fabric.  I made sure on the second print that everything was scaled correctly. And voila:


I had read that the Tanias are incredibly short, so I cut an XS with the length of a large.  They are still a smidge short but I can live with it.  Because of the length, my legs still have a twig-like appearance.    Next time round, I will lengthen even more where it will fall to my knees.  I also lengthened the crotch by a half of an inch. 

I have come to realize that drafted waistbands don't fit me very well.  I went with the waistband of the pattern but I don't like it.  It sits wrong or maybe it is right and I am not a fan of how it looks or feels.  Should have gone with my gut and drafted my own...or I should have made a larger size and took in before adding the zip. 

All in all, I am happy with my culottes.  They have a certain cheerleader or tennis vibe with a still cool-to-be-out-and-about-town in them.  You could dress them up or take my route, pairing them with tennis shoes, and rockin' the heck out them!  After a stressful 12 hour drive, my son and I arrived in Cincy to a joyous family reunion with a large, loud dinner.  I was in town to visit my new niece, Ana.   

My fabulous brother agreed to be the photographer and he took some great pictures of me in downtown Cincinnati, Ohio. In the background you can see a white steeple, that is the church that I was married in!  I love the neighborhood of Over the Rhine -- it reminds me of such happy times and all the crazy things I did as a child!  My sister, brother, and I had such a good time, tromping around Over the Rhine and we topped it off with a barbeque, a fire, excellent wine, and lots of loud conversation while our children played.



I return to Cincy on Friday and hope to have my Dolly Clackett dress done for more interesting pictures.  I am using a new Lisette pattern from Simplicity that was on sale for $1.  The dress also features a vintage fabric that I got at an estate sale -- horses, Indians, and cowboys.  

Happy Sewing!
Annie


 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
22 Comments »

22 Responses to “Cool…lots in Cincinnati!”

  1. Well I think you made another fabulous creation!! These culottes suit you well, and I agree that you should make more. Looking at these makes me want to sew a pair of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a rule, I am against cullottes. However, these look good!. Or, should I say great! You should make more of these, your legs don't look like sticks. I think the length is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a strong dislike for culottes but these look like a skirt which is exactly why I was interested in them! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. This is a pretty culottes and it looks great on you! I like the whole outfit, simple but stylish. Beautiful photos as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a very good photographer but my kind brother offered so I got fabulous pictures this time!

      Delete
  4. How perfect are these?! I like my culottes I made last summer, but yours look so fresh and breezy, I love how you styled them with the Chucks, so very cool. Now I need a modern pair, too.
    Found your blog via bloglovin because you started following mine. Unfortunately my adress changed, so if you want to follow me in the future, you have to follow the new adress. Unfortunately I was unable to write this to my followers, before it changed. In fact it's the same just without the /wordpress.
    And now I will have a good cup of tea and explore your blog, so many lovely things to see.
    love, ette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog! You create such fantastic things. Thanks for following...

      I love how this outfit came together and the Chucks just seemed to work!

      Delete
  5. I adore culottes - and these look fantastic. Good idea making them in seersucker, as ironing culottes is no fun. And unlike skirts, it doesn't matter how much the wind blows.

    The backdrops are wonderful - the playful look against the urban rubble really works nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah Liz! I had intended to make these in a rayon but the seersucker worked -- one of those happy accidents!

      Delete
  6. These are great--and your legs look great--wish mine were equally stick-like. Maybe then I could rock the Tania culottes as well as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thanks! I think the Tania pattern would flatter all women!

      Delete
  7. I am totally lusting after these. So darling.

    ReplyDelete
  8. need a pair of these for sure

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your style! I have nominated you for a Liebster Award! Get the full details at www.sewingdiet.blospot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had this revelation just in time for warmer weather ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie