These Boots are Made for Laurel

Thursday, January 23, 2014


Experiment:  Colette Laurel,  size 2 graded out to a 4 at waist


Materials:
Teal Cotton Broadcloth ~ 2 and 3/4 yards
Hook and Eye
Clarks and Coat Thread (Color: Black)
Colette Laurel Pattern, version 3

Procedure:

Please forgive the wrinkles in these photos but enjoy the afternoon sun and the shadows.  I think I am more excited how my new cowgirl boots look rather than how the Laurel turned out.  I grew up in the north and never in my life dreamed that I would ever own a pair of cowgirl boots. 

This is my first garment for the MAGAM challenge.  Laurel, oh, laurel. I love the cuffs.  This is the whole reason I bought this pattern.  Shift dresses aren't the most flattering type of dress for me.  I need a waist to create the illusion of curves and a bust.  But, those cuffs, well, I had to have them.  So girly, so charming.


My first attempt with Laurel was ill-fated.  The size 0 that I normally cut in Colette patterns proved to be too small.  I did, however, only attempt the shirt version (not that the size matters) so tucked away behind the Laurel directions was the dress pattern.  It was such an easy sew-up that once disaster struck I knew I would try again with the dress version.  I even cut a part of the pattern that afternoon.

Ta-dah!

Since the size 0 was tiny, I started with a size 2 in the bodice and graded out at the waist/hips to a 4.  I should have added some length because the final product was a tad short for my taste.  The hem of the bottom looks wonky because I decided to conserve length so I busted out the rolled hem presser foot.  That narrow rolled hem added a little of the puckers that you see at the bottom which I did not iron out before I took the pictures. 
I opted not to put in a zipper in the back but instead I added a slit at the back neckline.  I topstitched it all fancy and finished it with a discrete hook and eye.  This was partly due to laziness and partly due to the fact that there was ease in this pattern.  It is a shift dress with room around the waist and fighting with an invisible zipper did not sound like a good time (It never fails that I muck up an invisible zipper no matter how many times I do it!).
I am my own worst critic.  I hope that Laurel grows on me.  I wore this to a party with friends for the premiere of the 3rd season of Sherlock in the US.  Yea, I am a nerd but I embraced nerdy long ago (Have you noticed the name and look of my blog!?!).  It was a fabulously fun night -- fish and chips and pints of bitter, oh, and the return of Sherlock.  They all thought the dress looked great.  I, on the other hand, am not yet sold.

I was so excited to get my boots (Circle G boots in the smallest size for my tiny feet).  I had been wanting a pair for quite come time but suddenly I can't come up with outfits that they flatter.  I mean, when I was daydreaming about a pair there were endless sewing adventures running through my mind.  And I feel like the boots only go with two basic kinds of outfits: jeans or a short skirt/dress.  I need to sew up some more things that compliment them.  Rosie Wednesday is currently doing a Simplicity 1960 dress sew along.  One option of the Simplicity 3833 is short enough that the boots would be highlighted.  Hmmmm, this would require a hunt to find a good subtle print.  

Can you think of any other outfits cowgirl boots would go with?

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
16 Comments »

16 Responses to “These Boots are Made for Laurel”

  1. Hi Annie (found your blog via Goodbye Valentino). The style and colour of the Laurel looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the color -- that and the boots are the best part!

      Delete
  2. I like the Laurel on you, as well. The cuffs are great, and I can't believe how productive you have been this year! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope this lasts.... :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Annie - the Laurel looks cute on you, especially with those boots :). If ever you need to conserve length again, put a false hem on - that can often save the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even think of that! It was probably because I was whizzing to get done and finish the project. Thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  4. Your Laurel looks cute on you, however you might like it better using a drapier fabric (well broadcloth here in Australia is pretty stiff cotton). Also false hems, as Sarah Liz has said have been a life saver for me many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fabric had pretty good drape but if I do it again, I will probably choose something else. It occurred to me later that I could have just put a fun novelty print band to lengthen it also!

      Delete
  5. Hi Annie! I'm stopping by from the MAGAM challenge. I love the dress and the color! The boots add some fun and flirt.

    DJ - heheheplusshe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by... I loved your maxi skirt and crop top!

      Delete
  6. Cute dress and I love the color! I love your boots too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I work with a librarian that wears cowboy boots with everything and she always looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to flex my cowgirl boots skills....

      Delete
  8. You are indeed your own worst critic because when i saw your laurel i could only think "oooooooooooooo!" - i love how it looks, especially with boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy! I am really in love with my boots and just finished up another dress so I could wear it with my boots. :)

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie