Diving Right In (... to the New Year and a new technique)

Thursday, January 2, 2014




I began my Monthly Stitch project today and decided to focus on my fear of knits.   I have been lusting to make a Briar top with long sleeves but have not had the courage.  Ironically, I have no fear of shopping for knit fabric. I always manage to buy a couple of yards here or there. Good thing I've got them stashed away.

Today, I broke out the twin needle and a flamingo colored soft knit.  I figured baby steps were the way to approach sewing with knits.  I came across Tessuti's Fave Top pattern.  It's free, it utilizes knit, and it is not complicated.  I thought it was a winning situation.

My only hesitation was that the pattern is one size.  I got a little concerned when I put the pattern together and held it up to my chest.  It was so large -- I began to worry I would be swimming in pink fabric.  I turned to Pattern Review to get a variety of perspectives.  Clearly, the design is roomy which I like, however, I needed to remove some of the roominess before I could begin sewing.

Now I have done pattern alterations (taking in the waist, or lengthening, SBA) but I haven't done multiple pattern alterations at one time. Again, irrational fear that I will do something wrong.  The pattern was sooooo large. I had to do something:  2 inches from the center, 2 inches from the length, and 2 inches from the sleeve.  I also got lazy since, by now, I was convinced that whatever came from the pattern would only ever be a first attempt so I used only the front piece and folded on double layer of fabric.


I sewed.

Guess what? 

I survived.

It was not my finest attempt but a lot of trepidation melted away as I began to sew.



The fit is fine but the neckline is bollocks.  But, I am totally happy with the above.  I will never wear it (maybe as a pajama shirt ?) and I plan on making one with a proper neckline and seams that match up. The real triumph is that I did it. I sewed with knits. And it wasn't that bad. 

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
14 Comments »

14 Responses to “Diving Right In (... to the New Year and a new technique)”

  1. Good for you! Knits are wonderful to sew. You just need the right tricks. :) ~Teri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always looking for tips and tricks. Any suggestions are welcome!

      Delete
  2. Yay!! This is one of my objectives this year, too! Glad you paved the way...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck. Knits are so versatile.

      Delete
  3. Sewing knits is only as hard as you think it is. :) You will get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practice makes perfect, right?

      Delete
  4. Great job! I also will be sewing with knits this year! I made a swimsuit last year that was a real learning experience! I'm so glad I did that as I now feel confident working with knits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swimsuit is on my to-do list. I want to make the Bombshell. I bet a swimsuit provided a ton of learning experience.

      Delete
    2. That's the one I made! I never blogged it, sadly. And within 2 weeks of making it the thing was too big for me because I was actively trying to lose weight. lol It is a fabulous pattern and the instructions are wonderful.

      Delete
    3. Congrats on the weight loss! You look fabulous!

      Delete
  5. Annie with the right needles and attitude you will be off in no time! Great start! Keep at it! If you have any questions I'll be glad to help out. mail me at sewexcited2000@yahoo.com when you get started on your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I will take you up on that!

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on learning knits. I've only just realized what the double needle that came with my machine can be used for, so I'm kind of excited to hem my most recent dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am gaining confidence and signed up for Craftsy class today. I am working on a fleece jacket which surprisingly is coming together nicely. Double needle hem -- good luck!

      Delete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie