Winter Dress

Friday, December 27, 2013





I would never call my style vintage.  I have a hodge-podge collection of clothes that make me smile whether it is an old t-shirt or a sleek dress.  I am not as stylish as Tilly or as awesome as Gertie, but I know what I like.  I will admit that I am drawn to vintage silhouettes -- there is something romantic, beautiful, and womanly.

When the Sew Weekly Reunion ended, I wanted to find a project to use a blue peacock fabric and to fill a hole in my wardrobe.  Since I moved to Louisiana, where it is warm most of the year, I suddenly find myself with a lack of Fall/Winter dresses (rather, clothes!).  I specifically love dresses because in the morning when it is chaotic (I have a six year-old who will soon to be 7 in 2014!), I can throw on a dress with shoes and a touch of mascara and be ready for the day. Whew!  That sounds like some silly marketing tagline.  It is true because if I have to match some separates then I will linger in my closet, contemplate outfit ideas, try on outfits, throw them on the bed, and generally waste time.

In the spirit of vintage dress patterns, I began to make Vogue 8615 in September.

V8615


Ooohhh, September was soooo long ago -- sorry for the delay.  I had the bodice sewn together in the fall and over the last week I have been sewing the skirt panels and finishing the dress.  All final touches were done yesterday.  It was all very last minute: inserting the zipper and hemming.  I wanted to complete the dress so that I could wear it to dinner at Restaurant CottonMy wonderful friend had a birthday celebration last night (She is the gorgeous gal in the maroon cowl neck sweater!).


I used a size 10 pattern and there are obvious goof-ups (You can see how the bodice is loose fitting in the above picture).  I should have started with a 8 at the bust and graded up to a 10 at the waist. Overall, I am happy with the result.  I would call this a wearable muslin.  I used Gertie's method to narrow hem a circle skirt which means that my dress form came in quite handy.



I lined the bodice and opted not to line the skirt but when I do this all over again, I will line the skirt and not the bodice.  I also used an exposed zipper in a very different color for contrast.  The construction and the directions of the pattern were very straightforward.


 I did get tulle so maybe I will make an underskirt to add some flounce.



The dress and the birthday celebration were a success! 



It is a shame that my husband did not get more of my fabulous pink shoes in these photos!









 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie