Last Minute 2013 Sewing...

Tuesday, December 31, 2013


I have been a busy bee the last couple of days.  I wanted to finish up some projects that I had promised for 2013.  My sweet niece, Carmen, always talks about her aunt who is going to make her a pair of pajama pants and a matching pair for her American Girl doll.  Well, I did it yesterday!

Pajama Pants


It all came together nicely since my fabric shop had a sale on flannel (I sort of went crazy for pj bottoms) and I used free patterns!  For super simple pajama bottoms for children, Create Kids Couture has a pattern called Taylor's Pajama Pants, sizes 12 months to 8!  They have many fabulous clothes, tutorials, and patterns.

Taylor's Pajama Pants is versatile, easy, and I have used this pattern over and over again.  If your fabric is prepped, this pattern comes together in a jiff.  In fact, it comes together so quickly I didn't stop at one pj bottom.  I made one for my son and had previously made two for my friend's children for Christmas.  I really love this pattern.



In my haste, I accidently cut the pattern upside down on my son's Star Wars flannel.  He didn't seem to mind.  He said, "It's ok.  When I look down at my pants, they will be looking at me!"










Pants for Dolls


What really was a difficult was making clothes for dolls!  Oh my, oh my -- I realized after I had made pants for an 18" doll that those who sew doll clothes have a healthy supply of patience.  I, on the other hand, do not possess this.

The free pattern I found was from Milo Mila.   The fabric amount is minimal (Go figure!) and the hardest part was dealing with the smallness of everything.  If you are in need of doll patterns, this is the place to go.

Free Pants Pattern 
Image via Milo Mila

By no means were my doll pj pants perfect, but I think my niece will be excited to have a matching outfit!



 Oh Heavens -- The Laurel Disaster


I figured since I was on a roll -- well, why not make a top for New Year's Eve.  I have been wanting to make Colette's Laurel top version for a while.  I even had the pattern cut and ready to go.  I dove right in yesterday with some fabric in my stash.

Everything was going so smoothly.   This should have been my clue that this experiment was headed for disaster.  I used the pattern size 0 since that is what I used in my Sorbetto top and failed Peony.   I didn't even do a muslin because, well, why would I?  Zero fit before.

Ummm, I must have gained a ton of weight over the last week or this pattern runs small (I am guessing it is the latter).  I sewed the sucker up and when I went to try it on, I could barely get the thing over my head.  And when I did, I wouldn't want to ever have a picture of that!  It took a lot of wiggling and my help from my husband.





I lowered the neckline so it had more of a scoop shape and added 2 inches to the length.  But my ill-fated try-on revealed a gap in the back.   At least I used up some of stash...

Sooooo, I am going to quickly bind the neckline and hem this to send it to my niece for dress-up.  I'll probably cut a size 4 pattern next and take in where needed.  I will also have to fix the gap at the back by adjusting fit through the shoulders.  

Happy New Year!




 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
COMMENT ME: »

Leave a Reply

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie