The 'Steady As She Goes' Sorbetto Blouse

Saturday, July 27, 2013


When I renewed my interest in sewing, I found Colette's Sorbetto blouse pattern and whipped up one.  It was free, the directions were straightforward, and there were variations galore -- so what was not to like? I liked it so much that I bought some sheer black cotton lawn and black poly blend to make a Sorbetto.   I started this project at the beginning of the year.  But as a semester usually goes (I teach science at a university), I get busy and it got buried underneath new projects and fabrics.

Gearing up for the start of the school year, I wanted to complete some crucial projects to supplement my school year wardrobe.  To top that, I was nudged by the Pattern Review UFO contest.  The decision was made in an instant and it was an easy no-brainer: complete my Sorbetto.


UFO (UnFinished Object)

Since the pattern pieces were laid out and cut well before.  All I really had to do was put my own spin on the Sorbetto and sew it up. Guess what popped up on my Ipod when I started to sew? The Raconteurs' Steady as She Goes and I knew I had my inspiration.  I need a Steady As She Goes blouse to conquer the school year. I choose to add 3/4 sheer sleeves instead of short sleeves which I had intended so that I could wear it in the Louisiana winter. I also omitted the center pleat.  I made some bias tape for the neckline out of a fat quarter of quilting cotton and sewed the sucker up.



Viola!  The Steady As She Goes Sorbetto Blouse



Look at the little guy in the picture above -- he wanted his picture too!


Onward to a new semester!

 

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
10 Comments »

10 Responses to “The 'Steady As She Goes' Sorbetto Blouse”

  1. Love your Sorbetto. I specially like the contrast bias binding and the sleeves. I haven't tried this pattern yet but I have it ready and waiting in my pattern stash. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. When you get a chance you should try the Sorbetto. It really is an easy fun sew.

      Delete
  2. I really love the Sorbetto with sleeves. And I love the contrast binding too. I laughed when I read that you chose three quarter sleeves for the winter...our winters in Toronto are quite a bit colder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I was going to follow your blog but I can;t figure out how!

      Delete
    2. Ahh winter! I am originally form the north and have only lived in the south for about 6 years. But it is such a contrast in seasons. I can understand the winter of Toronto trumps the winter in Louisiana.

      To follow my blog, if you scroll up to the top, on the right hand side you can subscribe by email or popular readers. If you have problems, please let me know!

      Delete
  3. oh i love it, especially with the skirt! so perfect for fall. and such a cute dog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your version of the Sorbetto top. I am about to make one and wanted to add sleeves. Is there an easy way of telling me how you did yours? Did you have to alter the armhole to insert a sleeve? Did you use the sleeve from a certain other pattern? Whatever you did, it certainly was successful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did adjust the armhole slightly -- I lowered the armhole. I did not alter the armhole to insert the sleeve. I ended up using the 3/4 sleeve pattern from my failed Collete Peony dress since it was already cut. If I would do it over again, I would probably draft my own long sleeve as the Peony sleeve feels slightly tight.

      I made a short sleeve version based on Mena Trott's post on Sew Weekly: http://www.sewweekly.com/2011/07/7dos-the-starter-sorbetto/ I found that I did not have to alter the armhole to insert the sleeve -- as such I did not for the 3/4 length sleeve.

      Thanks for visiting -- I hope this answers your questions!

      Delete
  5. I love what you've done with the Sorbetto- it looks very elegant.

    I'm visiting via the Sew Weekly Reunion Swap, I'm having a great time discovering a whole load of new-to-me sewing blogs! I'll be following you on bloglovin.com.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie