The 'Mysterious Ways' Dress

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Mysterious Ways Dress:  McCall's M6741 Pattern Review

So it's true and long overdue:  U2 has a new album coming out!  I happened upon this little bit of fabulous information and it became inspiration (well, considering I have been listening to U2 for the past couple of days and I happened upon a tie-dyed green 100% cotton -- a rock inspired dress was lurking in there somewhere!).  As I began to sew, U2 was the perfect companion to rock out with while sewing a new dress!  I choose McCall's M6741 from my pattern stash. 







It was girly (which is right up my alley) but I could make it a bit edgy.  After a muslin and several hours of work, the Mysterious Ways dress was born.

Check it out:






This was the first McCall pattern I have completed.  It was just okay.  I really like the pattern but not the directions.   I changed things heavily to reflect what I envisioned.  I did not cut two panel pieces for front, instead I cut the fabric on a fold.  I also decided on a square neckline with a pleat down the middle of the dress.  I omitted the lining mainly because I was lazy and unsure how things would shake out in the end.    I also did a fancy embroidery stitch at the hemline of the skirt for contrast.





Pattern Description:
Princess seam dress - fitted at top with a flared skirt.

Pattern Sizing: 8 - 16.  I cut the pattern in a size 8 and had to modify.

 
Time to Complete: 5-7 hours


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? For the most part -- I did change things up a bit. 







Were the instructions easy to follow?

Ughh!  I was not a fan of the directions.  I used them a guide and went with my gut for most of it. 

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the shape.  It is very flattering and with panels you can play with texture and color combinations.  The skirt is swirly -- fantastic.




Fabric Used: 100% green cotton.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I added a long pleat down the middle, changed the neckline to a square design (not too happy with the stitching around the neck but it works).  I must have taken the dress in by 3+ inches to fit my waist.


Would you sew it again?  Most likely with many alterations.  I had to take in inches at the waist to fit.


Would you recommend it to others?  Only the adventurous ones.

 
Conclusion:   Not my favorite dress.  I guess time will tell how often I wear this.

 photo sig_zpsbfkxh0ji.png
share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
3 Comments »

3 Responses to “The 'Mysterious Ways' Dress”

  1. Truly a fabulous looking dress on you! The details are aweseome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. This dress seemed to be a mash of many details.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the stitch at the hem! it may not be your favorite but i think it looks so nice on you :)!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you think -- it makes my day! I will try to respond to each of them.

Annie